Forum:Moveset tables on SSB4 pages
From SmashWiki, the Super Smash Bros. wikiJump to navigationJump to search
- No one changed it to that template yet. PikaSamus (talk) 11:46, 29 September 2014 (EDT)
- I think we should at least try to let the people adding the moveset sections know that the moveset table template is the preferred option (as seen here). The moveset sections on SSB4 character pages are really inconsistent at the moment (needless to say, the same can be said about SSBM and SSBB character pages), which is a problem. Scr7(talk · contribs) 11:54, 29 September 2014 (EDT)
Okay, there's a couple points I'd like to address here:
- First of all, when exactly was it decided to use tables as opposed to bullet pointed prose for these? I find the layout on pages like Yoshi (SSB4) much cleaner and easier to follow. That layout plus damage % seems far preferable to a large and rather unwieldy table.
- Second, the moveset tables include a slot for names, despite the fact that most moves lack names and we shouldn't be inventing them.
- Third, we really should not be emphasizing moveset subpages for SSB4 characters until we have a lot more of the more basic SSB4 information covered. Filling the SSB4 character pages with very low priority redlinks seems counterproductive.
- 1. The forum I linked above favours the moveset table. Yes, few people posted there, but that's beside the point. I don't see how the table is any more unwieldy than the bulleted lists, because as I said previously, the bulleted lists have damage percents all over the place, whereas the table lays them out in a neater way that is easier and quicker to take a glance at if one wants to find the damage percent of a move. The tables will pretty much only become significantly more unwieldy if the moves have a large amount of details written in the "description" column, which is what the entire moveset subpage project is for.
- 2. I'm indifferent on the names column issue at the moment, so I won't comment on that.
- 3. Well, I'm not going to say that the SSB4 moveset subpages are at a higher priority than, say, the top pages on this list, because they're not, and I also think that we shouldn't start working on them until sometime later. It's just a good idea to have them there so they're ready. Scr7(talk · contribs) 12:11, 29 September 2014 (EDT)
- Using a template makes it much easier to enforce consistency than just using text.
- Some moves have names, so a names column is mandatory; not really any debate there. The question is whether they should be left empty or what.
- The average user probably doesn't even realize we have moveset subpages, so I don't see the problem here. Besides, we don't currently have any technical info to put there, so it won't be taking effort away from other pages. Toomai Glittershine The Incomperable 12:26, 29 September 2014 (EDT)