From SmashWiki, the Super Smash Bros. wikiJump to navigationJump to search
Candidate, please summarize why you are running for adminship below.
I've been tossing this idea around in my head since Nyargle and SK ran so... yeah okay here goes...
I've been around since the beginning of last year, although I didn't become regularly active until April-ish. Since then, I've made over 2,000 edits and, I'd like to believe, been a useful portion of the community.
While I can get hotheaded occasionally, I personally feel like (particularly recently) I've gotten pretty good at handling disputes and putting an end to them, and since I have no life outside of the internet I'm almost always around and can help with vandals quickly, although recently I've found that the number of rollbacks who are as active as me keep me from being overly helpful since all I can do is revert (so I guess I could run for rollback but I don't have any edits... so...)
I'm not particularly knowledgeable in "professional" smash and tend to avoid making edits to that side of the wiki, and I'd also be rather unhelpful in arguments related to those pages except in attempts to keep everyone calm and civil. I can't really make final decisions there though, and I'd say that's one of my biggest weaknesses.
...I guess that's all. So here we go.
- Moderate support. While this does seem a little rushed, I think you could make good use of admin tools, especially considering your experience compared to other recent candidates (no offense to Aidan, Nyargle, or SK). Ganonmew, The Evil Clone 15:32, 21 October 2015 (EDT)
Oppose: I am really sorry about this. I feel, like with Aidan, that this feels rushed due to the recent vandalism. In addition, you do not have the advantage of being as active as he is. Upon reviewing your links below, I do feel like you have conflict resolution skills, but not strong ones (as in, a few of them feel as though you just sort of gave up). Again, I do apologize, but I cannot support this RfA at this time. Serpent∞King (talk) 15:01, 21 October 2015 (EDT)
- I don't see how he's more active than I am? I mean, I'm on every day for long periods of time. Maybe it's because I don't do as many minor edits, so my contributions imply that I'm inactive. ---Preceding unsigned comment added by BOO! Or maybe Nutta. 15:12, 21 October 2015 (EDT)
- Looking over my contributions, from the beginning of September to today there are only 10 days where I made no edits at all, and I was still (probably) on the wiki, I just didn't see anything that needed done. ---Preceding unsigned comment added by BOO! Or maybe Nutta. 15:15, 21 October 2015 (EDT)
- I think mostly, it's that you don't really make that many edits...or at least that I've seen. Give me a second and I'll go through your contribs. Serpent∞King (talk) 15:15, 21 October 2015 (EDT)
- You seem to only make around 5-10 a day, which, when compared to other active users, is not that much. The size of the edits also...I mean they are minor edits (point to a few big ones you've made this month if you disagree). All I am seeing is talk page edits and minor mainspace edits. Serpent∞King (talk) 15:20, 21 October 2015 (EDT)
- Also let me clarify that edits are not everything, I know. But they do show that you are actually there working on the wiki. I could leave Recent Changes up all day and claim that I am active 24/7, but that doesn't mean that I am. Serpent∞King (talk) 15:22, 21 October 2015 (EDT)
- That's the main reason I feel like I need admin powers. I'm active all the time but as a normal user there's not much I can do. I don't get the chance to help revert vandals waiting for admins because the rollbacks are always on the ball, and the best way I think I can help is by using my constant activity to quickly ban them. I can't get involved in arguments because no one ever listens to me because I'm just a normal user- as an admin, I could get more respect and could more easily put an end to arguments. Right now what I can do amounts to making trivia, reminding people of policies (and generally getting ignored), and propose moves/deletions/etc. that also generally get ignored. I want to be able to do something to help the wiki, and I think I can do that best with admin powers. ---Preceding unsigned comment added by BOO! Or maybe Nutta. 22:24, 21 October 2015 (EDT)
- My vote changes to Weak Oppose due to response given below. It wasn't great, but I do feel that I am not giving Nutta enough credit here. Serpent∞King (talk) 23:55, 21 October 2015 (EDT)
- Oppose. Hasn't really demonstrated a need for admin tools and generally poor dispute handling (a lack of finality in decisions, possibly instigating comments). Don't take this the wrong way, but I don't think you're quite fit for adminship yet. Nyargleblargle (Talk · Contribs) 15:42, 21 October 2015 (EDT)
- I'm not a big fan of the idea of anyone making final decisions except when absolutely necessary. I tend to prefer keeping everyone calm while continuing the debate as more of a conversation until everyone's happy with it. "End of discussion" should only happen when it's clear that's not going to happen. That's why I directed Smashed and Aidan to the talk page instead of telling them "the trivia point stays" or "the trivia point goes". That way we could get more people into a civil debate that ends with everyone at least mostly happy. (Not to mention, it's not like anyone would listen to me if I made a final decision because it's not really my right as an ordinary user.) ---Preceding unsigned comment added by BOO! Or maybe Nutta. 22:24, 21 October 2015 (EDT)
- Oppose. You seem to start more problems than you solve, and have difficulty reaching anything resembling compromise. Not much in the way of demonstrating leadership and/or moderation. Miles (talk) 19:21, 21 October 2015 (EDT)
- ...kind of have a problem with you being the one to point out that flaw but I'll ignore that part. I will be the first person to tell you that I can get hotheaded when I'm particularly fed up with something, and that often causes problems. However, I do like to believe that compromising is one of my stronger points in real life. This wiki seems to have a different opinion on what compromises should be, although i'm not sure how exactly that works. And I'd like to believe I'm a pretty good leader, considering all of my friends look to me for final decisions and I was unanimously elected as secretary for a board I'm on (although no one else ran, everyone said they didn't run against me because I was best for the job so :P) ---Preceding unsigned comment added by BOO! Or maybe Nutta. 22:24, 21 October 2015 (EDT)
- Oppose. Once again (wow, 3 RfAs within this week) I feel like you have not given good reasons why you need to become an admin. You could have great potential in the future but not yet. Dots (talk) The Arceus 19:30, 21 October 2015 (EDT)
- I have a problem with this type of answer, because what exactly is "the future"? I don't see why that's an oppose-worthy reason. And, reasons to be admin-wise, I'm not good at coming up with reasons. I'm better with answers. Which is why I was hoping everyone would be more "say this happened, what would you do" like they were with Nyargle and SK, but apparently not. ---Preceding unsigned comment added by BOO! Or maybe Nutta. 22:24, 21 October 2015 (EDT)
- I'm not jumping on the bandwagon or anything here but you have not shown me that you are competently able to do the capabilities of an admin. The fact that you haven't shown a need for these tools to be useful doesn't help either. Dots (talk) The End 22:32, 21 October 2015 (EDT)
- What exactly do I need to show you? ---Preceding unsigned comment added by BOO! Or maybe Nutta. 22:35, 21 October 2015 (EDT)
- Sorry it took me a while to respond back but it seems that you would be better if you would give better arguments in disputes and conflicts. Dots (talk) The Pizza 08:56, 23 October 2015 (EDT)
- Oppose. You don't really have good reasons. On top of that, you don't contribute much (although you do contribute), and the examples you gave in helping solve disputes did not show you were that helpful at all. Some were more of you going like, "oh hey, stop, just do this" or "oh I agree," which didn't really help in keeping the peace or resolving the conflicts and were consequently glossed over by the disputers. I will say that for the most part, you're pretty levelheaded. It's just that you currently don't have much going for you for this position. (Aardvarkian's Talk Page • My Contribs) 22:41, 21 October 2015 (EDT)
- Apparently I'm not really making this clear. Please help me know what I'm doing wrong. Even if I can't change your mind I want to be able to improve. Don't just say "you aren't worthy", tell me why. ---Preceding unsigned comment added by BOO! Or maybe Nutta. 22:43, 21 October 2015 (EDT)
- I think you just gotta be more active, and more firm in your positions in disputes. In your involvements in arguments or peacekeeping, you gotta provide solid responses. I understand that you've done this in the past but maybe you should pack 'em with more punch. Moreso than "I agree, good reason." And I know you've gone beyond that before. But the more truth and facts you give, the stronger your word will be, though this does not guarantee things swaying in a particular direction. You don't need to write essays, just put extra testicular fortitude into it. I also think you should be more active, if you want this position. Take this or leave it, I just see no incentive for you to be an admin, but that's the advice I can give. (Aardvarkian's Talk Page • My Contribs) 22:56, 21 October 2015 (EDT)
- Thanks, that helps. ---Preceding unsigned comment added by BOO! Or maybe Nutta. 23:46, 21 October 2015 (EDT)
- Oppose Uhh who are you again? Lack of good reasons and number of core problem as mentioned above keeps you from being admin. Luigi540 (talk) 01:33, 22 October 2015 (EDT)
- I don't know enough context to be able to make a decision, so I'm kind of indifferent on this one. I don't mean anything by it, however. Aidan, Master of Speed and Aura 13:57, 21 October 2015 (EDT)
- ...I feel a little iffy on this being your reason for being neutral. I mean, if you need more context, doesn't that mean you should ask for the context instead of making a vote, so that you actually can make a final decision? I was under the impression that neutral is when you have the context but don't think it would be bad if someone became admin, or necessarily good either. ---Preceding unsigned comment added by BOO! Or maybe Nutta. 22:26, 21 October 2015 (EDT)
- I'm with Aidan here, you've done some good things in the past, but I honestly don't have enough about you that would change my opinion to Support/Oppose. Like Aidan though, I don't mean anything by it. Disaster Flare (talk) 14:41, 21 October 2015 (EDT)
- Neutral leaning towards oppose. You're not a bad contributor, although I don't see many cases where you should have admin. I don't believe you'd be a decent candidate, but I'm sort of in the middle of opposition as I haven't seen much of you. F0rZ3r0F0r (talk) 01:12, 22 October 2015 (EDT)
Would you mind linking to some edits that show how you've resolved disputes? Nyargleblargle (Talk · Contribs) 13:55, 21 October 2015 (EDT)
- Yeah, sure. 1, 2, 3 (although this one was more of a prevention than a resolution), 4, and 5, which I didn't handle as well as the others but I felt like I should share anyway. ---Preceding unsigned comment added by BOO! Or maybe Nutta. 14:07, 21 October 2015 (EDT)
- I can't help but notice that I'm the cause of 4 out of those 5...that might be something I should note, and possibly work on... Aidan, Master of Speed and Aura 14:33, 21 October 2015 (EDT)
- To honestly be fair, however, that particular user has had a history of arguments with me (all of which are substantially minor, I'm willing to admit), and quite frankly, his arguments were very subjective. All I was trying to do was explain why I did it, and back it up. Aidan, Master of Speed and Aura 14:35, 21 October 2015 (EDT)
- No one's attacking you, you don't need to defend yourself. It wasn't intentional for you to be in 4 of the 5 examples I gave. ---Preceding unsigned comment added by BOO! Or maybe Nutta. 14:39, 21 October 2015 (EDT)
- I'm aware. I was just saying something before someone did. Aidan, Master of Speed and Aura 15:22, 21 October 2015 (EDT)
Alright, I'll bite. Say Miles and another experienced user were to get into a dispute in which you agree with the other user. Then suppose Toomai steps in and agrees with Miles. What do you do? Serpent∞King (talk) 22:38, 21 October 2015 (EDT)
- I would need to know why Miles and Toomai believe mine and the other user's idea is a bad one. If their opinions make me reconsider my opinion even slightly, I change it to their way. If not, I share my (and ask for the experienced user's) opinion on the matter, and if they still don't budge, I try to come up with a compromise. If the compromise fails, I'd probably just change it to their way, unless I'm angry about the matter or I feel like their idea makes the wiki look worse (like I wouldn't have budged on Drill vs. Drill Arm because the way Toomai wanted it phrased seemed unprofessional to me. And if Miles is being a jerk about it, I probably won't budge just because I don't like jerks to win.) ---Preceding unsigned comment added by BOO! Or maybe Nutta. 22:41, 21 October 2015 (EDT)
- I appreciate your honesty, but unfortunately, this does not sway my vote too much. I will now change to weak oppose. Serpent∞King (talk) 23:53, 21 October 2015 (EDT)
- I feel like that was a poor example, because i could handle that as a normal user just as well as I could an admin. ---Preceding unsigned comment added by BOO! Or maybe Nutta. 23:58, 21 October 2015 (EDT)
Okay, so since people neither like me nor are willing to help me improve (besides aardvarkian and sk and to a certain extent dots), I'm just gonna withdraw this.
...what exactly do I do to withdraw it? ---Preceding unsigned comment added by BOO! Or maybe Nutta. 11:40, 23 October 2015 (EDT)
- You just say you want it withdrawn. Toomai will take care of it. Aidan, Master of Speed and Aura 11:54, 23 October 2015 (EDT)
- Okay. I want it withdrawn then. ---Preceding unsigned comment added by BOO! Or maybe Nutta. 11:58, 23 October 2015 (EDT)