Single person match
A single person match is a glitched match which features only one player or team of players. If the game mode is set to Stock, the match ends as soon as it starts: this happens because, due to the absence of opponents, there are no opposing stocks to deplete, so the player or team instantly wins. If the game mode is set to Time, Bonus or Coin the single player or team can fight normally on the stage until the timer runs out.
It is possible to initiate a Single person Melee with a variation of the Name Entry glitch, discovered by Exchord92.
The glitch can be performed in Versus mode by using the following method:
- With the cursor over the name field, the player should press A and B simultaneously.
- The player should release A, but continue holding B.
- The player should scroll down to "Name Entry". Then the player should press A at the correct time while still holding B.
- If this is timed correctly, the player will go to the stage selection screen.
If the player performed the glitch correctly and the game does not freeze upon selecting a stage, the match will end as soon as the announcer says "Go!" in Stock or Stamina, or the player will be alone in other modes.
Players can also perform this glitch with two to four characters all on the same team (using the black character glitch) instead of only one player. The match will end instantaneously due to there being only one team remaining.
As of version 1.1.6, an online match can start with one player or team if:
- All players have selected their character, and are waiting in the lobby. In this state, all players' statuses are marked as OK and it is not possible to exit the match via the pause menu.
- After the confirmation sound plays and the screen starts going black, but before the actual start of the battle, one of the players disconnects.
The still-online player then enters a single-player match, which ends just a frame after the announcer gives the "GO!" signal.