- For the stat held by the Pokémon Trainer's Pokémon, see Pokémon Change. For the actual stat held by characters in this mode, see Hit Points.
Stamina is a Special Melee option in Super Smash Bros. Melee, and a Special Brawl option (under the name of Stamina) in Super Smash Bros. Brawl. In both games, it gives all characters a "life bar" similar to that of conventional fighting games, which must be depleted to defeat characters.
In Stamina, every hit to the player depletes some HP from them. Once a character reaches 0HP , they are out of the game, though characters can be knocked off the stage through conventional means. When the character reaches 0HP, the game will temporarily slow down, and the character will yell out their Star KO scream; if trapped in a Final Smash such as Ike's Great Aether, then the character will be "dropped out" from the move. Afterward, the character will always stay in their lying down position, and will always enter a state of tumbling when hit; as a cosmetic change, the character flashes red. Any "drone" characters, such as Pikmin, however, will still stay next to the knocked out combatant.
In Melee, the starting stamina is fixed to 150 HP. Brawl introduced the ability for players to select their starting HP individually via the Handicap option, allowing all tens from 10 HP to 300 HP, as well as only 1 HP.
- Wario's and Bowser's Final Smashes cause an Undead Glitch when reduced to 0HP.
- Melee's version of Stamina is unusual for not having a results screen, making it the only mode in all of Melee with such a property. As a result, players can use Master Hand in the mode without causing the game to crash.
- When Crazy Hand and Master Hand's stamina reaches 0 in VS. Mode, their dying scream is not heard.
- In SSBM, the player cannot edit the starting stamina; the instruction booklet, however, shows a screenshot of Stamina Mode with Hit Points higher than 150.
- Defeated characters that are hit with a Banana or other slip hitbox will be knocked into their sitting position. Once the sitting time is up, they will stand, only to immediately lie back down.