Recoil damage is damage taken by a player when they use an attack under certain circumstances or in a certain way. Recoil damage must be done directly; therefore, moves such as Snake's C4 and Link's Bomb, do not count as recoil damage. Recoil damage is not affected by stale move negation.
 List of moves with recoil damage
- Diddy Kong - Rocketbarrel Boost, when hitting a wall or ceiling. Deals 5% damage.
- Ike - Fully charged Eruption, deals 10% damage.
- King Dedede - Jet Hammer - when holding a fully charged Jet Hammer, King Dedede will receive damage in a fashion similar to Hoop Damage: it damages at 1% increments, but does not do any damage when at 150% or above
- Kirby - Can copy Eruption from Ike, Flare Blade from Roy, and Thunder Jolt from Pichu only. Former two both deal 10% damage when fully charged, latter does 1% when used.
- Mr. Game & Watch - #1 Judge, deals 12% damage.
- Pichu - Most electric-based moves: Thunder Jolt (1%), Skull Bash (1%), Agility (1% for the first leap and 3% for the optional second one), Thunder (3% when connecting with Pichu), forward smash (2%), forward aerial (4%), down aerial (1%-2% depending on whether Pichu hits the ground during the attack), pummel (1%), and forward throw (1%). Up throw and down throw do not cause any recoil damage, despite their electrical effects.
- Roy - Fully charged Flare Blade, deals 10% damage.