- This article is about the Pikmin as an entity. For other uses, see Pikmin (disambiguation).
Pikmin (ピクミン, Pikumin) are a species of creature central to the Pikmin games. They come in multiple variants, including Red, Blue, Yellow, Purple, White, Rock and Winged. Pikmin work under Captain Olimar's command both in the original games and in their appearance in Super Smash Bros. Brawl.
 Creature description
Captain Olimar with a full army of 100 Pikmin.
Pikmin are ant-like animal/plant hybrids that follow around Captain Olimar. Pikmin walk on 2 legs and all have a plant-like appendage on the top of their head which, over time, develops from a leaf to a bud, then blooms into a flower. Each Pikmin has a specific ability, and up to one hundred can wander the planet and follow Olimar. The red, yellow and blue Pikmin were introduced in Pikmin, whereas three more variants were introduced in Pikmin 2 and a further two in Pikmin 3.
- Red Pikmin - Red Pikmin have 50% more offensive power than other Pikmin and an immunity to fire-based attacks and hazards. Red Pikmin have distinct pointed noses.
- Yellow Pikmin - Yellow Pikmin fly higher than usual when thrown, thanks to its large elf-like ears. They have an immunity to electricity and are the only Pikmin that can carry bomb-rocks in the first game.
- Blue Pikmin - Blue Pikmin cannot drown and are immune to water-based hazards; they are also capable of rescuing other Pikmin that accidentally fall in the water. Blue Pikmin have pink gills where a mouth would be expected.
- Purple Pikmin - An uncommon Pikmin both ten times as heavy and ten times as strong at carrying objects as other Pikmin, in addition to boasting double the attack power. When thrown, Purple Pikmin will cause a shockwave to occur on impact due to their weight; this can stun, injure, or even outright kill enemies, making them arguably overpowered in battle despite their very slow movement speed. Purple Pikmin are slightly taller and noticably fatter than other Pikmin; additionally, they also have hair-like protrusions on their heads. They also have a magenta bud and flower instead of the white that other Pikmin have.
- White Pikmin - White Pikmin are much faster than other Pikmin and have red eyes that allow them to see underground and detect buried treasure. White Pikmin have poisonous bodies that will damage enemies should they be eaten. Furthermore, they are immune to poison and poison-based hazards. They are smaller than other Pikmin and, like Purple Pikmin, grow a magenta bud and flower.
- Bulbmin - A parasitic form of Pikmin that has infected a Bulborb, a common enemy in the series. The actual Pikmin is never seen, rather, they constantly live inside their host. They are immune to fire, electricity, and poison, and also can move through water. However, Bulbmin are only found in certain caves in Pikmin 2, and are unable to be taken to the surface.
- Rock Pikmin - Unlike other Pikmin, Rock Pikmin are shaped like irregular hunks of rock instead of smooth humanoid bodies. Their hardness allows them to crack crystallized objects when thrown and renders them immune to crushing and impaling hazards. They have slightly higher attack power (though not as much as Reds), but are unable to latch onto enemies, instead choosing to repeatedly ram into them. Their flowers are indigo.
- Winged Pikmin - Winged Pikmin are pink in colour and have large lens-like eyes. Their insectoid wings allow them to fly over hazardous terrain and ground-bound attacks, as well as uproot certain plants from the ground and easily fight flying enemies despite their lower attack power. Like Rock Pikmin, they have indigo flowers.
The plant on an individual Pikmin's head indicates how developed and strong it is, affecting battling ability and running speed. A fully bloomed flower means a Pikmin is stronger and faster than a Pikmin with just a leaf on its head. Ordinarily, Pikmin leaves become Pikmin flowers if the Pikmin drink nectar, but a flower can naturally grow if Pikmin are left in the ground long enough before being plucked.
Pikmin makes a small cameo in Super Smash Bros. Melee in the form of two trophies: one about the Pikmin themselves and one about Captain Olimar with some Pikmin. (Pikmin was released right before Melee and was helped by it in promotional purposes.)
 As a trophy
The Pikmin trophy in Melee
The trophy specifically about the Pikmin is unlocked as one of the 100+ trophies that can be collected randomly during normal play, such as in the Trophy Lottery and throughout the various Single-player Regular Matches.
- These strange beings are part plant, part animal. They spend most of their time buried in the earth, but they will befriend whoever plucks them, as evidenced by their devotion to Captain Olimar. Each Pikmin has a leaf on its head that grows into a bud and finally a flower. Like a flower, the life of a Pikmin is both fragile and beautiful. (Pikmin, 12/01)
 In Super Smash Bros. Brawl
In Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Pikmin are featured as part of Pikmin & Olimar, the playable collective of characters from the Pikmin universe. Pikmin follow Captain Olimar after Olimar plucks them. Each Pikmin has a specific ability, and up to 6 will follow Olimar in a single-file line.
- Red Pikmin - Possesses the strongest aerial attacks. Does fire damage and immune to fire attacks.
- Yellow Pikmin - Possesses slightly larger hitboxes than other Pikmin, though it is weaker, with only the White Pikmin being weaker in all attacks. Travel in slight arcs when thrown. Does electrical damage and immune to electric attacks.
- Blue Pikmin - Higher health than other Pikmin, and possesses the longest reaching grab along with the most effective throws. The only Pikmin that can swim; other Pikmin drown after a second in deep water. Immune to water-effect attacks.
- Purple Pikmin - Doesn’t fly far when thrown, moves slowly, and possesses less reach in its smash attacks and grab. Possesses the strongest smash attacks, and possesses the most powerful throw (its up throw) in Olimar's arsenal. Slams into enemies instead of latching on when thrown. About twice as much health as other Pikmin.
- White Pikmin - Quick and light. Can be thrown faster and farther, and when latched onto opponent, it deals three times as much damage compared to other Pikmin. It also possesses a more damaging pummel. Has half the health of other Pikmin, often being killed in one hit, and possesses drastically weaker attacks than the other Pikmin.
Pikmin naturally develop from leaf to bud to flower every 20 seconds, but this has no gameplay effect.
 Trophy Info
 Red Pikmin
A type of Pikmin--which are odd beings who grow like plants yet are as mobile as animals. Red ones are heat and fire resistant and are strong attackers, which makes them valuable when facing dangerous foes. Purple Pikmin are also tough fighters, but since it's difficult to increase their numbers, red Pikmin are easier to manage. Red Pikmin have distinct pointed noses.
- Pikmin (2001)
- Pikmin 2 (2004)
 Blue Pikmin
A type of Pikmin, which are curious creatures that follow and obey the person who picks them. If you take advantage of this trait, you can get them to help Capt. Olimar and Louie. The blue Pikmin are at home in water and cannot drown. Need to retrieve an object underwater or cross a water hazard to disarm a trap? Blue Pikmin are just the allies you need.
- Pikmin (2001)
- Pikmin 2 (2004)
 Yellow Pikmin
A type of Pikmin. Take a nutrient-rich pellet to a flying saucer known as an Onion, and it will produce the mysterious beings known as Pikmin. Yellow ones fly higher than other Pikmin when tossed by Olimar or Louie. Unlike other Pikmin, they're also highly resistant to electricity, which makes them invaluable when battling enemies like anode dweevils.
- Pikmin (2001)
- Pikmin 2 (2004)
 White Pikmin
A type of Pikmin. White Pikmin are resistant to poisons and are themselves toxic to creatures that eat them. Their low weight makes them very speedy, and they can also dig up buried items. White and purple Pikmin do not live inside Onions, so you must change other Pikmin into them by tossing them into ivory candypop buds and violet candypop buds.
 Purple Pikmin
A type of Pikmin, much heavier and slower than other Pikmin. When thrown, they impact with such force that they may kill or stun enemies. They're also incredibly strong--one of them can carry an item that normally would require ten Pikmin. While they're more powerful fighters than their red cousins, their slow speed hampers their effectiveness.
Olimar has been seen using the five Pikmin types as of Pikmin 2 in revealed materials of Smash 4; the two types of Pikmin 3 have yet to be confirmed or denied.