- For fighter info, see Lucas (SSBB).
The in-game sprite of older Lucas from Mother 3.
||Mother 3 (2006)
|Smash Bros. appearances
|Most recent appearance
||Super Smash Bros. Brawl (2008)
|Console of origin
||Game Boy Advance (Originally planned for the Nintendo 64)
|English voice actor
|Article on WikiBound
Lucas (リュカ Ryuka) is a character in the EarthBound/Mother universe, debuting in the Japan-only Mother 3 for Game Boy Advance.
 Character description
Lucas is the main protagonist of Mother 3. He is a timid young boy that is 9-10 years old at the beginning of the game and 12-13 at by the end. Lucas is Claus' younger twin. After the intro when he grows up, he is drafted by Wess to find Duster and Kumatora. He learns PSI (PK in Brawl and in Japan) and begins to battle against the Pigmask Army to pull 4 of the 7 sacred needles to awaken the Dark Dragon living under the Nowhere Islands.
 In Super Smash Bros. Melee
For some time, a rumor stated that in Super Smash Bros. Melee, Lucas was meant to replace Ness as a playable character, but Ness was included due to time constraints. The rumor was confirmed by Masahiro Sakurai himself on July 17th, 2001 when he updated the original Smabura-Ken with Ness's profile. Quote Sakurai-san:
||Actually, at first, I planned to change him [Ness] into the protagonist of Mother 3 [Lucas], but for various reasons during the delay, I settled back on the original idea. (実は当初、MOTHER3の主人公に変更する予定でしたが、いろいろあって遠回りしながら、元のさやに収まりました。)
|—Masahiro Sakurai, Smabura-Ken Ness page (Japanese)
Both Ness and Lucas would ultimately appear as playable characters in Super Smash Bros. Brawl.
 In Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Lucas, as he appears in Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Lucas is a playable newcomer to the Super Smash Bros. series in Brawl, becoming the first non-Fire Emblem character in the series to have had his original game released only in Japan. His special moves, originally revealed on the Smash Bros. DOJO!! website, are similar to Ness', but have some key differences. For example, Lucas' PK Thunder goes through opponents, while Ness' PK Thunder does not. Lucas also has physics that are near identical to Ness', but the majority of Lucas' moves are completely different from Ness', leaving him as a semi-clone of Ness.
Lucas is ranked 30th on the tier list in E tier. The main reason for his lower-mid placing is the additional 10 frames he gets when grab released, like Ness. This makes him vulnerable to grab release followups from every character, including zero-death chain grabs from Marth and Donkey Kong.
 Trophy description
The Lucas trophy from Brawl
- The younger of twin brothers living in Tazmily Village in the Nowhere Islands. He's a kind boy who can communicate with animals, but he's shy and never really got over the tragedy that struck his mother. He fights a warped dictatorship, hunts the Seven Needles, and crosses swords with his missing brother, Claus. In the end, the young boy with psychic PSI powers grows up.
- : Mother 3 (Japan Only)
- Lucas' PSI shapes are polygon based, compared to Ness' circle based PSI effects. This is most clearly seen in the dash attacks.
- Lucas' home village is given as Tazumili in the NTSC Brawl, but in Mother 3 the village is actually named Tazmily. This was corrected in the PAL release of Brawl.
- Lucas is the only playable character that has appeared in only one game outside of their Smash appearances. However, Lucas was meant to be a playable character in the ill-fated Nintendo 64 version of Mother 3, known as EarthBound 64.
- Strangely, although Lucas has only appeared in a Japan only game in the EarthBound (Mother) series, he speaks English in all versions of Super Smash Bros. Brawl except the Japanese and South Korean versions.
- All of the Special moves that Lucas uses in Brawl, he doesn't use in Mother 3.
 External links