From SmashWiki, the Super Smash Bros. wiki
- For fighter info, see Greninja (SSB4).
Greninja (ゲッコウガ, Gekkouga), is a fictional creature from the Pokémon series. It appears as a playable character in Super Smash Bros. 4.
Greninja is depicted as a fast, frog and ninja-like dual-type Water/Dark Pokémon in the Pokémon games. This trend is continued in the Super Smash Bros. series, where it can be seen using ninja-like techniques such as Water Shuriken and Substitute. It is the final evolution of the Kalos starter Froakie, evolving into its second form Frogadier at level 16 and finally into Greninja at level 36.
Greninja as it appears in Super Smash Bros. 4
- Main article: Greninja (SSB4)
Greninja appears as a playable character in Super Smash Bros. 4, revealed in the Super Smash Bros. Direct on April 8, 2014 alongside fellow Pokemon Charizard.
- This Water/Dark-type Pokémon is the fully evolved form of Froakie. It's just as fast and dangerous as any other ninja, and the throwing stars it can make out of water can shear metal. In Smash Bros., as well as being a graceful, speedy fighter, it can also use moves like Hydro Pump that let it travel through the air and avoid falling.
- Greninja (Alt.)
- Greninja's Substitute down special lets you teleport to dodge attacks and then strike back, making it an effective and hard-to-predict way to counterattack. You can also control where you reappear by inputting directions. When you vanish, sometimes you'll be replaced by a log, other times by a cuddly toy.
- Sakurai decided to add Greninja to Smash 4 long before the release of Pokémon X and Y, having initially reserved a space on the roster for a brand-new Pokémon. Sakurai's only source material for designing the character was concept drawings of Greninja.
- Greninja is the most recently introduced playable character from first game appearance to first Smash appearance in the entire series, as Pokémon X and Y was released less than a year before Smash 4's release. This, however, excludes Roy, whose first game appearance was Melee.