New Pork City
New Pork City
|Home stage to||Lucas|
|Tracks available||Porky's Theme|
Unfounded Revenge/Smashing Song of Praise
Mother 3 Love Theme
You Call This a Utopia?!
Humoresque of a Little Dog
Bolded tracks must be unlocked
|Tournament legal (SSBB)|
|Article on WikiBound||New Pork City|
New Pork City (ニューポークシティ Nyūpōkushiti) is a stage in Super Smash Bros. Brawl, hailing from the game Mother 3. It is a massive stage, approximately the size of the Temple stage in both Super Smash Bros. Melee and Brawl. It is comprised of dozens of buildings, giving the impression of a large city, though the battle area consists of a series of platforms that seem to have no connection to the city itself.
 Stage description
On the very right side of the stage, there are a series of thin platforms vertically arranged on top of each other. The top of these is the highest point on the stage, being about 3/4 of the way up to the upper blast line. To the left of these platforms is a rotating "pendulum" platform, perhaps related to the various theme-park rides that exist in New Pork City in Mother 3. Directly below this is a large, sloped platform. The left edge of this drops down to a small cardboard layout of a building laying flat. This is breakable. Breaking this platform can result in early deaths if one is not careful. The left side of this breakable platform is connected to another bumpy platform, connected to a slope facing downwards to the left. Directly above this are two very thick, floating cubical platforms connected to each other. The rightmost point of this is slightly to the left of the rightmost point of the slope. Directly left of the sloped platform is a small floating slope. This is between the large cubical platforms and a small, thin platform connected to a larger, cube-shaped one. To the left of this is the left-most point on the stage, a flat, small platform with medium thickness. The bottom-most point of the stage is a small limousine that flies from the left to the right of the stage, though this only appears sometimes. Far into the background is a silhouette of an actual city, despite the fact that New Pork City itself is floating and unconnected to it. Interestingly, the camera does not zoom in very much, even if all characters are near each other, even though it zooms in when the game is paused.
 Tournament Legality
This stage is banned in tournaments because the stage's overall huge size promotes camping and can make KOing difficult, the many platforms create caves of life, allowing easy techs and abnormally high percentages, and an overly powerful stage hazard in the Ultimate Chimera.
 Ultimate Chimera
The Ultimate Chimera is a hazard in New Pork City. Appearing randomly on the large right platform, the bottom platform with the breakable floor, or the two large leftmost platforms, it walks slowly and its bite attack results in a one-hit KO (even though the stage is very large) and deals 100% if the player is by the edge of its mouth, and 200% if trapped inside. As mentioned above, however, the many blocks on the stage allow players to tech, and in some cases even if the player does not tech, the rebound may not have sufficient knockback to KO.
 Chimera Facts
- It is possible to defeat the Ultimate Chimera when it is situated on the breakable platform on the bottom of the stage by breaking the platform. This can be done safely from a distance with the Motion-Sensor Bomb, C4, or a controllable projectile such as PK Thunder. Upon falling, the Chimera will let out a roar of defeat.
- When a character is using a Final Smash, Ultimate Chimera will not try to bite and will usually ignore the character if the Final Smash was activated with correct timing. If the player is invincible during the Final Smash and was touching Ultimate Chimera, it will bite the player, but the player won't take damage or knockback.
- If the player completes Classic Mode or All-Star Mode with Ness, the congratulations screen will picture him in the mouth of the Ultimate Chimera.
- The sound effect used for its roar in Mother 3 can be heard after defeating Porky Minch in the Subspace Emissary.
- It actually is possible to walk into Ultimate Chimera and not get bitten. If the character is on a platform, and the Ultimate Chimera appears next to them, he won't attack the player until they drop off the platform.
- Though the Ultimate Chimera has the same "off button" that it did in Mother 3, touching it will not affect the Ultimate Chimera.
 In tournament play
New Pork City has been banned universally in tournament play since the beginning of Brawl's competitive scene, as the stage causes some of the worst degenerate gameplay in Brawl. The most major of its problems is its extreme size and extreme amount of empty space; characters can live to absurd damage percents without the aid of a cave of life, and can easily outcamp slower characters just by running away. Besides being able to cause game breaking camping, this can make it impossible for matches here to finish without going to time, and greatly obstructs the usual flow of a 1v1 battle. The stage is additionally difficult to traverse (due to irregular floor design and platform placement, and the aforementioned extreme amount of empty space), and the camera has issues with being able to zoom in properly, which further disrupts gameplay within the stage. The stage also has several walls, allowing for wall infinites and zero deaths, as well as places to tech against to extend survival even farther. The final severe problem is the Ultimate Chimera, which while can be reasonably (and arguably easily) avoided, still has guaranteed OHKO power if a player is bitten by it in a stage where characters can realistically approach sudden death damage percents consistently, making it an overly powerful stage hazard that can have too large of an impact in a match regardless.
 New Pork City jump
It is possible to jump from the rightmost platform of New Pork City, under the stage, and up through the breakable platform. This is similar, but more difficult than, the Hyrule Jump as both a good horizontal and vertical recovery are required.
 Characters that can perform the New Pork City jump
- Meta Knight, Pit, and Charizard, using their glides.
- Kirby, King Dedede, and Jigglypuff, using their multiple jumps (and possibly their up specials or Pound in Jigglypuff's case).
- Ike, by using a fully-charged forward smash while standing on a rolling crate, combined with Aether.
- Ganondorf, by exploiting the vacuum properties of his up tilt on a rolling crate.
- Luigi, by using Green Missile, Luigi Cyclone, and possibly Super Jump Punch.
- Snake, Link, and Toon Link, with their bomb recoveries.
- R.O.B., using Robo Burner.
- Marth, by timing a fully charged Shield Breaker followed by Dolphin Slash.
- Yoshi, by using his midair jump, and a single Egg Throw to add vertical height.
- Diddy Kong, by using a Monkey Flip and Rocketbarrel Boost.
- Peach, by using her float then Peach Bomber followed by Peach Parasol.
- Wario, by using his bike to get his second jump back, then using a fully-charged Wario Waft and finishing up with Corkscrew.
- Lucas, by using Magnet Pull and his midair jump.
- Sonic, by using Spin Dash, midair jumping, and using Spring Jump
- Lucario, by stalling with his down aerial the bottom edge on the very left, double jumping to the left, down aerial stalling again, and using ExtremeSpeed.
- Zero Suit Samus by using her double jump, Flip Jump, and Plasma Wire. (Platform must be destroyed)
- Ice Climbers, by using their double jump timed correctly and Belay timed correctly. (Platform must be destroyed; only lead climber will survive)
- Mr. Game and Watch, by using Fire timed correctly.
New Pork City was a location in Mother 3. Porky Minch ruled this city and gathered various people from different times to live in it, and eventually managed to get all of the Nowhere Islanders to move here too, sometimes by force. Porky gathered various scientists from different times to work in a laboratory called the Chimera Lab, which is not located in New Pork City itself. He gave orders to create creatures called Chimeras, which were hybrids of multiple different animals or plants, or mechanized versions of animals. The Ultimate Chimera was one of these, and, fitting the name, was the most powerful one, and was feared even by its creators. The Ultimate Chimera was eventually moved here as well, and was discovered by Lucas and company in the bathrooms of the Empire Porky Building. If the Ultimate Chimera bites Lucas, it's an instant death resulting in a game over. The Ultimate Chimera appears in this stage as a hazard. When the Ultimate Chimera bites a player, there is a high possibility that the player will get knocked out. Also, when the Ultimate Chimera spots Lucas in Mother 3, an exclamation point appears over its head and a distinct noise can be heard. It then proceeds to chase after Lucas. In Brawl, when the Ultimate Chimera appears on the stage, the same distinct noise when it spots Lucas in Mother 3 can be heard. Also, the Ultimate Chimera will not chase after players in Brawl, but will instead just simply wander around the stage.
The background contains multiple sprites from Mother 3. Notably, the Empire Porky Building, a 100 story building, can be seen in the background, and it expands all the way up to the upper boundary line. Sprites of some of the Mother 3 characters can also be seen. There is a destructible platform towards the bottom of the stage that is made out of wood and is painted to look like a building. In Mother 3, there is a small theme park in New Pork City that has a pirate themed swinging ship ride. In Brawl, the swinging platform resembles the swinging ship ride seen in Mother 3. The actual arrangement of platforms used here (disregarding the limousine) was never a part of the city in Mother 3. In Mother 3, the only way to get to New Pork City was by a flying limousine. When unloading passenger into New Pork City, the flying limousine would park in a parking lot in the west side of the city. In this stage, the limousine can be seen flying across the stage. The parking lot on the west side of the city has been retained.
In Mother 3, Porky Minch built a statue of a younger version himself in the city. If Lucas were to observe the statue three times it would attack. The Porky Statue is retained and can be seen in the background. The overall layout of the city looks very similar to how it appeared in Mother 3 with only few buildings being out of place, but the size city has been greatly increased which resulted in more buildings than what was originally there. Also, the majority of the "buildings" in Mother 3's New Pork City weren't real buildings, but were instead just billboards of buildings. This is also true in Brawl. New Pork City in Mother 3 is likely built on top of a mountain rather than "floating" like it is in Brawl as there is a long elevator shaft in the Empire Porky Building that goes deep underground to a cave system that leads to the final Needle.
- On the American version of Brawl, the stage selection screen refers to the stage as hailing from EarthBound, although it is not from said game. PAL versions of Brawl do, however, list the stage's prefix as MOTHER.
- In Mother 3, The Empire Pork Building has 100 floors. This fact is stretched in Brawl, as the height of the building is indefinitely tall, and in fact still goes off the top of the screen when Olimar uses End of Day.
- When Pokémon Trainer is selected, he will stand on the streets in the background.
- The Pigmask's logo appears stamped on all solid platforms.
- Despite the presence of trophies for most stage elements, there is no trophy of the Ultimate Chimera.
 External Links
EarthBound (Mother) universe
|Characters||Ness (SSB · SSBM · SSBB) · Lucas (SSBB)|
|Side characters||Assist trophies: Jeff|
Bosses: Porky Statue / Porky Minch
|Stages||SSBM: Onett · Fourside |
SSBB: New Pork City · Melee Stages: Onett
|Items||SSBM: Mr. Saturn|
SSBB: Mr. Saturn · Franklin Badge
|Trophies & Stickers||Trophies in Melee · Trophies in Brawl · Stickers in Brawl|
|Music||Music in Brawl|