suffers a darkness ailment when struck by the first hit of Crazy Hand's triple poke attack.
There are a few attacks in the Smash Bros. series that cause the darkness effect. Characters hit by darkness temporarily flash purple and emit shadowy energy similar to that of fire. The darkness effect has no gameplay effects, but can be improved by stickers, though they are usable only by Ganondorf.
 List of darkness attacks by characters
- Ganondorf - forward smash, Warlock Punch, Gerudo Dragon, Flame Choke, Dark Dive (ending uppercut in Brawl), Wizard's Foot, Beast Ganon (dash)
- Giga Bowser - forward tilt, up tilt, down tilt, forward air, back throw
- Kirby - can copy Warlock Punch, Shadow Ball, or Pikmin Throw
- Mewtwo - neutral attack (infinite hit), dash attack, up smash, down smash, forward smash, forward air, forward throw, Shadow Ball
- Olimar - with White Pikmin: pummel, Pikmin Throw, Pikmin Chain (while it is considered that White Pikmin inflict poison, they technically use the darkness effect)
 List of darkness attacks by enemies and bosses
- Crazy Hand - spider crawl attack, flying punch catch (combo move with Master Hand), first hit of triple poke, bombs (only the explosion, Melee only)
Ganondorf's Warlock Punch is an example of a darkness attack.