Mario throwing a Fireball
, a flame attack, on Link as he is set on fire in Super Smash Bros
There are various attacks in the Super Smash Bros. series that cause the flame effect. Targets hit by these attacks will momentarily be set on fire, flashing red and orange. Flame attacks have other effects:
- They thaw frozen characters.
- They cause Blast Boxes to detonate instantly.
- They do no damage to Red Pikmin, which will not flinch.
- They deal 1.1x knockback to Ivysaur and 0.9x knockback to Squirtle.
- They are strengthened by Flame Attack stickers and resisted by Flame Resistance stickers.
Flame is by far the most common "elemental" attack in the Smash Bros. series, with over half of Brawl's roster having access to at least one.
The vast majority of explosive attacks use the flame effect.
The flame effect as demonstrated by Ness' PK Fire attack on Lucas.
 List of flame attacks by characters
- Bowser - Fire Breath
- Captain Falcon - forward smash, Falcon Punch (except in Smash 64), Falcon Dive, Falcon Kick, Raptor Boost
- Charizard - Flamethrower, forward tilt (sweetspotted), back air (the second part when sweetspotted), forward air, neutral air (sweetspotted), down throw, Fire Blast
- Diddy Kong - Rocketbarrel Boost, Rocketbarrel Barrage (ending explosion)
- Falco - Fire Bird, Landmaster (shot)
- Fox - Fire Fox, Landmaster (shot)
- Ganondorf - Volcano Kick
- Giga Bowser - forward smash, Fire Breath, pummel, forward throw
- Ike - Eruption
- Jigglypuff - Rest (Melee only)
- King Dedede - Jet Hammer (hammer head when fully charged)
- Kirby - dash attack (Melee), Cook Kirby, can copy Blazer, Fire Breath, Falcon Punch, Flamethrower, Eruption, Fireball, Chef, Pikmin Pluck (Red Pikmin), PK Fire (SSB64 only), Robo Beam
- Link - Bomb
- Lucas - PK Fire
- Luigi - Fireball, Super Jump Punch (sweetspot only), Green Missile
- Mega Man - down smash, forward air
- Mario - forward smash (when sweetspotted, Melee and Brawl), Fireball, Mario Finale
- Mr. Game & Watch - forward smash, Chef (the pan itself), Judgment (number 6)
- Ness - PK Fire, down throw
- Olimar - With a Red Pikmin, all Pikmin-based attacks (all smashes, all air attacks except for neutral air, pummel and all throws, Pikmin Throw, and Pikmin Chain).
- Pokémon Trainer - Triple Finish
- R.O.B. - down air, back air, neutral air, up smash, Robo Beam (close range)
- Roy - up smash, Blazer, Counter, Double-Edge Dance (last hits), Flare Blade
- Samus - down tilt (except in Smash 64), forward air, up smash, Missiles, Bomb
- Sheik - Vanish
- Snake - forward smash, up smash (grenade), down smash, Remote Missile, C4, Hand Grenade, Grenade Launcher
- Toon Link - Bomb
- Young Link - Fire Bow, Bomb, down aerial (above Young Link with the hilt of the sword)
- Yoshi - Super Dragon
- Zelda - Din's Fire, Farore's Wind (upon re-appearing), up air
- Zero Suit Samus - Plasma Whip (sweet spot)
 List of flame attacks by items
 List of flame attacks by enemies and bosses
- Crazy Hand - vertical punch, start of jet flight, hits of applause combo move, center of sandwich punch combo move
- Duon - fiery cut
- Fire Primid - fire breath, fireball
- Galleom - missiles
- Jyk - Flame variety
- Master Hand - second hit of kick attack (Smash 64 only), vertical punch, start of jet flight, center of sandwich punch combo move
- Meta Ridley - fireballs (all kinds)
- Porky - Porky-Bots
- Rayquaza - Explosion
- Scope Primid - fully charged shot
- Tabuu - Bullet Rain (last hit), Explosive Teleport, Ghost Projection, Pinpoint Explosion