Tournament:MLG DC 2010
|MLG DC 2010|
|Dates||October 15th-17th, 2010|
|Venue||Gaylord National Resort and Convention Center|
|Address/City||201 Waterfront Street|
|Entry fees||Singles and venue: $35|
|Pot size(s)||Singles: $7,000|
|winners|| ADHD 1v1|
Nairo & Anti 2v2
|Housing||Gaylord National Resort and Convention Center hotel|
MLG DC 2010 was one of the five Super Smash Bros. Brawl national tournaments hosted by Major League Gaming in 2010. This tournament drew heavy criticism due to allegations of bracket manipulation between Mew2King and ADHD in losers' finals, an incident which is often cited as a reason that MLG did not include Brawl in its 2011 circuit.
Friday, October 15th
|5:30PM-9:30PM||1v1 winners round 1|
|9:30PM-11:30PM||1v1 winners round 2|
|11:30PM-12:30AM||1v1 winners round 3|
Saturday, October 16th
|10:00AM-12:00PM||1v1 losers round 1|
|12:00PM-2:00PM||1v1 losers rounds 2|
|2:00PM-3:00PM||1v1 losers round 3|
|3:00PM-4:00PM||1v1 losers round 4|
|4:00PM-4:30PM||1v1 winners round 4|
|4:30PM-5:00PM||1v1 losers round 5|
|5:00PM-5:30PM||1v1 losers round 6|
|5:30PM-6:00PM||1v1 winners round 5/losers round 7|
|6:00PM-6:30PM||1v1 losers round 8|
|6:30PM-7:00PM||1v1 winners round 6/losers round 9|
|7:00PM-7:30PM||1v1 losers round 10|
|7:30PM-8:00PM||1v1 winners round 7/losers round 11|
|8:00PM-8:30PM||1v1 losers round 12|
|8:30PM-9:15PM||1v1 winners round 8/losers round 13|
|9:15PM-10:00PM||1v1 losers finals|
Sunday, October 17th
|10:00AM-11:00AM||2v2 winners round 1|
|11:00AM-11:30AM||2v2 losers round 1|
|11:30AM-12:00PM||2v2 winners round 2|
|12:00PM-12:30PM||2v2 losers round 2|
|12:30PM-1:00PM||2v2 winners round 3/losers round 3|
|1:00PM-1:30PM||2v2 losers round 4|
|1:30PM-2:00PM||2v2 winners round 4/losers round 5|
|2:00PM-2:30PM||2v2 losers round 6|
|2:30PM-3:00PM||2v2 winners round 5/losers round 7|
|3:00PM-3:30PM||2v2 losers round 8|
|3:30PM-4:00PM||2v2 winners finals/losers round 9|
|4:00PM-4:45PM||2v2 losers finals|
Players who break the rules will receive a warning or foul, depending on the rule. Any warning beyond the first will result in a forfeit of the game or match.
- 3 stocks
- 8 minute time limit
- Items are set to "Off" and "None"
- Team attack is set to "On"
- Marth and Squirtle are forbidden from using grab release infinites against Ness.
- King Dedede is forbidden from using a standing grab infinite against Bowser, Donkey Kong, Luigi, Samus, and Mario.
- Meta Knight's Infinite Dimensional Cape is banned.
- No pausing is allowed without the referee's permission.
- No action that disrupts standard gameplay may be used.
- Any infinite move must end before the affected character reaches 300%.
- Cheating is forbidden.
- In 1v1 or 2v2 events, the higher seeded player/team must choose their controller port first.
- Players may request a blind pick of character for the first game of a match.
- Players must follow the official striking procedure.
- Ties are settled with percents and the edge grab limit of 35 (15 in a tie breaker).
- Games started without the approval of a referee will be restarted.
- Share stock is allowed.
|Yoshi's Island||Frigate Orpheon|
|Delfino Plaza||Rainbow Cruise|
|Battleship Halberd||Pokémon Stadium 2|
|Pokémon Stadium 1|
Rules of conduct
- Controllers with modifications or turbo capabilities are banned. Players who break the rule once will receive a warning.
- Players may not attach a headset to the Wii or TV.
- Players may not intentionally manipulate a teammate's controller while a game is in progress. Doing so will result in a forfeit.
- Players may not appear on the main stage or feature station with sponsor insignia not approved by the MLG or its sponsors.
- In case of a Wii/TV malfunctions, the game will be restarted from the beginning.
- No warm-up games may be played outside of scheduled warm-up periods.
- During warm-up periods, all games must be played with three stocks or less. At the end of a game, All players must get up and allow any players who are waiting to take their seat.
- Players who have not been eliminated from the event on Saturday and Sunday have priority over those eliminated.
- Players late to their station within 5 minutes of their match's announcement will forfeit their first game. 10 minutes late will result in a forfeit of the best of 3 game match or the second game of the best of 5/7/11 match. 15 minutes late will result in a forfeit of the best of 5/7/11 match. If both teams forfeit the match, the higher seeded player/team will win the match.
- Players/teams may forfeit a game/match if a player leaves their station without their referee's permission, or is otherwise unable to play. Referees may set a time limit for players who requested to leave for a short time, but may also deny permission to leave.
- Players who wish to dispute game results must notify their referee that they would like to protest the game.
|9th||Rich Brown||Lee Martin|
A notorious incident of supposed splitting occurred at this tournament, involving Mew2King and ADHD. Mew2King and ADHD were about to face each other in losers' finals of the tournament, and Mew2King stated that he didn't feel confident that he could take the set against ADHD, who had beaten him multiple times before. As a result, Mew2King asked ADHD if he would split, but ADHD told him to just play the set and discuss a split afterwards. Mew2King and ADHD played the set, and ADHD won the set, proceeding to defeat Rich Brown in both sets of grand finals to win the tournament. After the tournament, ADHD told Mew2King that he would eventually give him $300. Mew2King and ADHD were then banned from the next MLG tournament, MLG Dallas 2010, due to the splitting incident. Mew2King then lied about what happened, and then admitted that he had made a mistake for what he had done.
The events at the tournament brought up extensive controversy. Many questioned whether the incident constituted "Intentional Forfeiting or conspiring to manipulate Rankings or Brackets"; the set was legitimately played out, even though Mew2King stated that he had a lack of confidence. However, some people suggested that Mew2King might have tried harder had ADHD clearly said that he would not split. MLG's punishment of ADHD for agreeing to give Mew2King a portion of his prize money was widely criticized, as it didn't alter any player's placings and was generally seen as acceptable in the Smash community for one to give away their prize money after a tournament. Mew2King's actions in the situation were also criticized by some, saying that since Mew2King only apologized after MLG refused to lift his ban, it showed that he was only eager to win MLG Dallas to make money. The incident stained the reputation of Mew2King, ADHD, and MLG in the Smash community, and has been a commonly cited theory for why MLG did not include Brawl in their 2011 circuit.