|This user is a bureaucrat.|
|Brawl mains||Kirby, Yoshi|
| Other Brawl
|Melee mains||Marth, Sheik|
| Other Melee
|Luigi, Peach, Link|
| Other SSB64
|Skill|| Beginner |
|Real name||Ryan King|
|Talk · Contribs · Edits · Email · My To-Do List · Sandbox · Feedback|
Hi! I am Serpent King, a Melee player somewhere between casual and competitive skill. I am also an administrator of this site...as you probably know by now if you are reading this.
Aside from Smash, I also play Armagetron Advanced competitively, and I am positively obsessed with the Zelda series. I know a fair bit about Pokémon too, but I do not play competitively, because I kinda suck.
I am also minoring in Calculus and Mathematics. I also enjoy doing entirely pointless studies in mathematics, discovering new things that others overlook. I have posted a few of my findings here.
I have a variety of nicknames that I will respond to, the most obvious being "Serpent", "King", "Serp", and "SK", but I also respond to my Marth name, "Mars". On Tron, I use "*~>King" as my tag, and I had "Serpent" as an alias. When I started Smash (actually, that's a lie; I started Smash before Tron, but I sucked), I decided to mash them together and thus, "Serpent King" was born. Luigi being a perfect fit for that was a sheer coincidence.
- Smash Bros. games lineups, starting from favorite, ending on least favorite: Melee, Smash 4, Brawl, Project M, Smash 64
- The tier list/matchup table does hold some weight, but should not be the end-all source for picking a character
- Wavedashing is totally optional. Yes, it can provide a decent approach (sometimes), and it can be used to make some good combos, but that doesn't mean that it needs to be used to win.
- Sandbagging is NOT when someone picks a low tier character in tournament because they want to have a little fun every now and again
- Melee Fox players who constantly waveshine ruin the game somewhat. Play how you want, but ehhh. I'll never do it.
- FOX IS NOT THE ONLY CHARACTER WORTH ANYTHING IN MELEE
- Edge-hogging is OK, except against grapple recoveries in Brawl
- It's the Internet: If you post a smash video online, you are going to get "You suck" a lot. Just let it roll off the back.
Melee Skill List
Probably my strongest area. I have a really fast reaction time (from playing Tron), but sometimes I suffer in reacting in the right way. My combo game is tight-ish, and my combos are very adaptable to DI. Sometimes I will over-predict hitstun, but most of the time, I am on point. I am also uncanny with reads.
I suffer here. I have issues with camping, both doing it and dealing with it. I play up close and personal most of the time, tending to stay away from projectiles (except for the edge guard).
Decent here. I am good at baiting, especially with Marth and Luigi.
Mmm. Needs work, definitely. I train with computer players a lot, and with human players quite a bit less (about a 1:15 ratio or so...), and well...we all know how good the AI is at recovering... This prevents any good practice I have off stage. I can do edge guards on and off stage, but any good recovery may trip me up.
Same story. The AI will not Edge Guard, except for standing on the edge of the stage, so I am good at that, but...anything away from the stage may make me panic, as I will not know what to do.
|Wavedash||Able to do it, not able to easily use it for much other than fundamental spacing, and some attacks.|
|L-Cancel||Able to do it, but I miss it a lot. I only try for it in a handful of attacks (Link's U/DAir, Marth's DAir, etc).|
|Dash Dance||Able to do it, getting better at using it as a mindgame.|
|Floor Tech||Good at this, rarely miss it. Sometimes I'll accidentally roll into danger though.|
|Ceiling & Wall Tech||I mainly play FD, so...I can get it sometimes if I see the attack coming. If I do a Wall Tech, it always ends up being a Wall Jump Tech, followed by a NAir or FAir for some reason...|
|Ledge Tech||If I get really freaking lucky.|
|DI||Making progress on this! I am no master yet (at all), but I have a firmer grasp on how to use DI to escape combos and live longer.|
|Crouch Cancel||I can get this if I was trying to do a DTilt before being launched...Something tells me that doesn't count though.|
|Ledge Drop Attack||Depends on the character: Luigi, Marth and Sheik are excellent at this. All my other characters have issues with it.|
|Power Shield||With projectiles, I am actually really good at this. With physical attacks, I am decent I suppose.|
|Proper Roll||I have limited myself in rolls. I only use them to attempt to get behind a character, and I won't use it at all with certain characters (I'm looking at you Samus, you rolling fiend, you).|
|Proper Spot Dodge||For grabs mostly. Really good at this, especially with Link. Trips a lot of people up because it's unusual.|
|Meteor Cancel||Only if I get really lucky.|
|Drop Cancel||I did it once accidentally against an AI with Marth's DAir. I ended up getting KO'd (I was at high percent).|
|Jab Cancel||I don't understand this...|
|Chain Grab||I choose not to do this.|
|SHFFL||Sometimes, if I can land that L-Cancel.|
- I used to main Link in Melee. I stopped using him for a while and I lost my touch with him. So I chose the other green crusader: Luigi. Because who wouldn't choose Luigi, he's awesome.
- I once thought it was possible to hit the jumbotron in Pokemon Stadium when getting Star KO'd.
- I spent the better half of the debug menu project not knowing that the R button allows you to scroll through menu options faster (it was a slow start...).
- I spent 3 days getting all the images I needed from Poke Floats for Debug menu (SSBM)/Stage data. I do not wish to repeat.
- Whenever someone calls Mango the GOAT, I always think of the goats from The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess.
- When playing Tron once, I murdered 5 other players with a single turn. Then immediately smacked into the rim out of surprise.
- The original idea for my "Serpent" alias in Tron came from Harry Potter: Chamber of Secrets
Serpent King navigation
|User information||User page · Talk page · Contributions · Feedback · Admin qualifications · Admin goals|
|Userspace core stuff||Attributes · Character competency charts · Infobox · Navigational box · Progress bar · Signature · Talk page guide|
|My workshop (or something)||To do list · Sandbox · Template sandbox · Contacts · Software|
|For Fun||Math dump · Melee 1P scores · Trash can · Userbox|