SmashWiki:Junior administrators (version 2)
Different users have access to different functions of the site. While anyone can do most things on the site, including reading and editing, junior administrators can access a few additional functions to maintain the high standard of content on SmashWiki.
- Deletion and undeletion of pages and images.
- Movement of pages without leaving redirects behind.
- Protection of pages so they cannot be edited.
Junior administrators also have all the powers of the rollback position.
What's the difference between a junior admin and a regular admin?
Some users may wish to obtain additional wiki-aiding tools without the hassle and expectations of being a full administrator. Examples of this division include:
- Juniors cannot edit fully-protected pages.
- Juniors cannot apply restrictions to users; they do not have access to the block tool, nor can they probate users.
- Juniors are not considered "staff"; they cannot edit wiki-wide text or stylesheets, do not have access to the wiki's e-mail or YouTube accounts, and are not treated as member-wiki-staff on the NIWA forums.
Junior admins are under some additional restrictions that are not mechanically enforceable by the wiki software:
- Juniors may only utilize their powers in a janitorial context - they may not use them to make or carry out a desicion.
- Example 1: Juniors may delete a spam page, replaced image, or broken redirect. They may not delete a page whose validity is under discussion.
- Example 2: Juniors may move an image to fix a spelling error or inappropriate name. They may not move a page whose name is under discussion.
- Example 3: Juniors may temporarily protect a page that is being vandalised or is hosting an edit war. They may not protect a page indefinitely, or unprotect a page just so they can edit it.
What's the same between a junior admin and a regular admin?
Just like full admins:
- Juniors may not use their powers to settle editing disputes.
- Juniors are not princes, and should not be treated any differently than any other user.
Requesting junior adminship
Similar to the administrator application process, prospective users must create a request for junior adminship. Users must be able to demonstrate trustworthiness and an understanding of the relevant tools in order to have a successful application; do not request junior administrator status solely for the sake of being a junior administrator. Having previously obtained rollback is not strictly necessary, but a record of its proper usage will be considered a major asset.
Consequences of overstepping bounds
It is virtually guaranteed that, at some point, a junior admin will break one of the position's non-enforceable rules for what they believe to be a good reason. In such cases, an administrator will review the situation to determine whether the action was justified, and hand the junior admin a number of "strikes" depending on the severity of the infraction:
- If the action was indeed justified, no strikes need be given.
- If the action was well-meaning but still outside the ruleset, one strike may be given.
- If the action was of questionable benefit, two strikes may be given.
- If the action would have been wholly unaccepbable for a full admin to carry out, three strikes may be given.
If a junior admin collects three strikes, they will be demoted; admins have the right to block juniors if they continue to abuse their powers before a demotion can be carried out.