Toon Link is one of the many playable characters in the Brawl mod Project M. His moveset is heavily altered from Brawl, mixing in elements from both Young Link's and Smash 64 Link's movesets.
Toon Link's alternate costume, Outset Toon Link.
Changes from Brawl to PM
- Jab combo hits connect slightly better, and the third hit is an upwards slice which moves you a slight distance foward giving Toon Link slightly higher mobility.
- Forward tilt is slightly faster and does more damage and KOs more reliably.
- Down tilt is now a crouching stab reminiscent of the shield-stab from Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask, and can meteor smash if a character is hit with the tip of the sword.
- Up smash is now a two-hit move, with a strong initial hit that has the knockback compensated from Brawl and can KO the opponent that is quickly followed by a second hit that's better for comboing, and can hit faster fallers at low percents, and also provides him additional coverage, and is useful if the first hit misses.
- Down smash is no longer a linking attack, instead acting like a weaker version of Link's, but has a semi-spike angle that can still yield deadly KOs at high percents.
- New Forward smash resembles Link's from Smash 64. It has large range and is stronger than his Brawl forward smash.
- Forward aerial does slightly more damage, and does slightly higher knockback.
- Up air has slightly faster startup and does slightly more damage now doing and has knockback compensation from brawl.
- Neutral air is now Young Links kick and does more damage, and has more knockback, and is a sex kick.
- Down Air does slightly more damage and its knockback is dramatically increased on the ground and has the sword hilt sweetspot from Young Link in melee that has a fire effect, and is a powerful meteor smash.
- Grab has faster start-up, and less ending lag.
- Up throw does more damage.
- Boomerang does more damage closer up, and can be better angled.
- Arrows from Hero's Bow are set on fire, like Young Link's. After shot, they also stick in the ground for a few seconds to damage enemies, dealing weak damage with no knockback.
- Grounded Spin Attack has higher range and is better at damaging, possesing more hits that deal up to 25% if fully charged, similar to Young Link's. It can also be moved sideways depending on charge level like Wind Waker being a more powerful trapping, and the Aerial Spin Attack gives a single hit of strong damage, serving as a powerful KO move.
- Bombs hit up to four times each, now dealing up to 10% damage, and he can now have up to 3 bombos out at a time.
- Sword length slightly increased.
- Aerial glide tossing with a bomb and Spin attacking into it gives him a stronger recovery.
- Improved tether recovery properties make his zair more effective for recovery.
- Dash attack is now a fast stab forward akin to Link's in Smash 64, but with better initial dashing speed. It has a semi-spike trajectory with drastically increased knockback, being better at KOing and approaching than his previous dash attack.
- New Down taunt that acts like Young Link's. If Toon Link is not interrupted during the drinking portion, it heals 3%.
- New Down tilt deals slightly less damage than the old one and has overall more lag.
- New Forward smash has slower start-up and has less damage potential.
- Down smash hits don't link with each other causing less damage racking potential.
- Neutral air's hitboxes no longer extend behind Toon Link.
- Boomerang does slightly less damage from a distance.
- Aerial Spin Attack is a much weaker recovery that has less horizontal and vertical distance acting like Smash 64 Link's recovery.
- Arrows from Hero's Bow do slightly less damage and travel much less farther now, just barely covering over Final Destination's length.
- Zair has more landing lag.
- Sword attacks now display actual slashing sound effects, like Link's.
- On-screen appearance revamped: the bomb explosion now occurs in midair, and Toon Link falls screaming into the ground face-first, getting up afterwards.
- Old down taunt moved to his side taunt.
- Up taunt's ending melody causes anyone in close proximity of Toon Link to be pushed back slightly, however it does not do any damage. This could be thought to simulate a "windy" effect from using his Wind Waker.
Outset Toon Link
Toon Link now has an alternate costume based on his Outset Island clothing from The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker. When using the alternate costume, Toon Link wears a patterned light blue tunic instead of his normal blue one and no cap. He also uses the Hero's Sword given to him by the island's swordsman instead of the Master Sword.
- Up-B hitbox on the tip of his sword has been reduced very slightly in size
- Down-smash stats properly ported from Melee
- Forward-Air and Back-Air had very, very minor hitbox adjustments
- Forward-Smash has a lower trajectory and knockback growth is increased
- Forward-Air damage and hit duration slightly increased
- Down-Air hit duration and endlag in the air reduced
- Grounded Up-B adjusted so opponents cannot shield in the middle of the move
- Grounded Up-B damages adjusted to be more rewarding
- Aerial Up-B initial hit damage, knockback growth, and duration slightly increased
- Forward-Smash is now SDIable
- Neutral-B takes slightly longer to draw the arrow
- Aerial Up-B hitboxes reduced in size slightly
- Aerial Up-B late hit damage reduced
- Jab 2 and Jab 3 have a new animation similar to his Wind Waker slash sequence
- Forward-Tilt animation adjusted
- Down-Tilt tip meteor angle slightly adjusted, knockback growth greatly increased, and now has an electric effect
- Forward-Smash has a much longer hit duration, hitting earlier and slightly later in the animation
- Grab hand collision is larger like a normal grab, ends when the hookshot extends, and the chain is unable to grab airborne targets to prevent a standing chaingrab
- Forward-Throw angle increased
- Back-Throw angle lowered and base knockback increased
- Down-Throw knockback growth increased
- Boomerang speed, damage, and knockback adjusted
- Can pull up to 3 Bombs
- Back-Air has a more combo friendly angle and ends one frame sooner
- Forward-Throw reworked to offer potential reward when used
- Up-Throw reworked to offer potential reward when used
- Down-Tilt meteor uses the new "Light" hit element
- Side-B (boomerang) catch animation only occurs when Toon Link stands still
- Up-B damage, knockback, angle, and hitbox sizes all adjusted slightly: Shorter sweetspot, better middle hit, and a relevant "flub"
- Fast Fall Velocity increased
- Forward-Tilt now does more damage closer to the tip
- Up-Tilt has slightly less endlag
- Forward-Air has less startup
- Up-Throw has less endlag
- Up Special's last hitbox does more damage, with less hitlag and weaker SFX
- All sword attacks are now correctly clankable
- Forward-Tilt has slightly less base knockback on inside hits
- Forward-Tilt's knockback growth slightly increased on all hits
- Up-Tilt's base knockback increased and knockback growth lowered
- Up-Tilt's angle now increases closer to the tip
- Down-Air's hitboxes moved in to better center them around Toon Link/his sword
- Up-Throw's speed is now properly weight dependent
- Up Special's second hitbox lasts one less frame
Up to date as of version 3.0.
||Triple Slice Combo
|| 2% then 3% then 5%
|| Toon Link swings his sword in a variety of directions.
|| 10% (body) 11% (blade) 12% (tip)
|| Toon Link slashes from behind to in front of him. The beginning of the attack hits behind him. Decent for edge-guarding if the blast line is nearby.
|| Quick overhead swipe. Similar to his up smash, except slightly faster and less powerful. Covers a fairly large arc. Knockback is almost entirely vertical, and it is usually possible to chain multiple up tilts in succession on a low-damage enemy. Excellent for combining with aerial attacks and up smash.
||8%, 9% (tip)
|| Toon Link kneels and 'jabs' his sword outward. Has a hitbox on it's tip that applies an electric shock to the opponent and spikes them downward. Notably similar to Marth's down-tilt.
|| Toon Link runs forward with his sword in a stabbing stance.
|| Spins his sword once, followed by a spark and Toon Link throwing down his sword. Has decent horizontal knockback.
||Double Arc Slash
|| 15% (hit 1) 8% (hit 2)
|| Toon Link Swings his sword above his head twice.
|| 13% (front) 12% (back)
|| Toon Link quickly swings his sword to the left and right of him on the ground.
||12% (clean) 8% (late)
|| Toon Link puts his left leg out and his right bent under the other. Notably Similar to Fox's Neutral Aerial.
|| Toon Link quickly slashes his sword in front of him.
|| Toon Link quickly slashes his sword behind him.
|| 15% (clean) 12% (late)
|| Toon Link holds his sword upwards.
||17% (early), 14% (late) 8% (2nd hit)
|| Toon Link grips onto the handle of his blade and falls downward with it under him. The tip of the sword where Toon Link is holding it hides a hitbox that will apply a flame effect to the opponent and spike them downwards. If an opponent is hit with one of the sword's hitboxes other than it's topmost hitbox, the player can 'bounce' off with the sword.
|| Toon Link uses his hookshot in the air. It has a hitbox on it's tip. Good for spacing. Toon Link's zair can also be used while a bomb is held to cancel an airdodge, which also allows him to Tether recover with a Bomb.
|| Toon Link uses his hookshot to grab opponents.
|| Toon Link hits his opponents with his sword in his hand.
|| Toon Link shoves the opponent forward.
|| Toon Link rolls backward and flings the opponent backward.
|| Toon Link tosses his opponent upward.
|| Toon Link pummels his opponent against the ground.
|Floor attack (front)
|| Two quick swipes to either side.
|Floor attack (back)
|| Two quick swipes to either side.
|Floor attack (trip)
|| Slashes in front of him and then behind him just like his floor attack.
|Edge attack (fast)
|| Gets on the stage and slashes from head to toe.
|Edge attack (slow)
|| Slowly gets up and stabs forward.
|| Hero's Bow
|| 6-11%, 3% (grounded arrows)
|| Shoots fiery arrows that can be charged.
|| 14% close, 7% during flight, 3% upon return
|| Toon Link throws his trusty boomerang. Players can continue to use or B-reverse this move's animation when the boomerang is flying at will.
|| Spin Attack
||16%-24% (ground), 17%-8% (air)
|| Toon Link spins around with his sword. When used on the ground, the player can maintain some degree of control over Toon Link and make him move left or right.
|| Toon Link pulls out a bomb. He can throw these bombs with the Control Stick or the C-Stick. He can also drop these bombs by inputing a Grab. If a bomb is dropped near the floor, it won't explode and other players can pick up these bombs.
|| Triforce Slash
|| 5% trapping, 4% per slice (1-15 hits), 18% final slash (83% total)
|| Traps the opponent and lays down a series of quick sword strikes before an impressive final blow.
Toon Link's palette swaps in PM
- In Brawl, there is a glitch in which, if Toon Link reverses a Quickdrawn Bow, he may shoot the arrow backwards as usual, but still look the opposite side. This glitch remains in Project M.
- Toon Link's costume has an odd hole in his head.