Dash attack is an attack performed by pressing the attack button while dashing. To do a dash attack immediately after starting a dash, press the C-stick down instead. Dash attacks typically use the momentum behind the dash to pull of some sort of attack, like a sliding kick. Most dash attacks come out quickly, but have noticeable ending lag and are predictable, making them very easily shield-grabbed. In Brawl, certain dash attacks can be interrupted by performing an up smash, which is known as Dash attack canceling, or DACUS. Often, a combo is used with the low, more combo based knockback of the dash attack, leading up to a more powerful up-smash. This is known as a Gatling Combo. A dash attack can also be cancelled by a grab.
Skilled players generally avoid using dash attacks by themselves to approach, as they are predictable and can be easily punished, especially by shield grabbing. However, many players use dash attacks to perform cross-ups, which place the user behind their opponent, putting them in a less vulnerable position. The DACUS is also a good approach option, because it sends the user a further distance and leaves them in a less vulnerable position to be punished.
 Dash attacks in Super Smash Bros.
- Mario: Does a slide tackle like in Super Mario 64. Does 12%.
- Luigi: Swings his arms in a flurry of "sissy-fight"-like punches. Six hits, 2% each.
- Donkey Kong: Lifts up foot and slides on his other foot, has considerable ending lag. Does 12%.
- Yoshi: Rams forward with his head. Does 12%.
- Link: Sticks his sword straight out and stops, good range and speed. Does 16%.
- Samus: Shoulder tackles foe similar to her Shinespark in Super Metroid. Does 12%.
- Kirby: Does a slide tackle. Does 10%.
- Fox: Leaps a bit off the ground and slides forward, sticking foot out. Very fast and has low ending lag. Does 10%.
- Captain Falcon: Does a shoulder tackle. Does 12%.
- Pikachu: Does a running headbutt, has considerable ending lag. Commonly considered Pikachu's second worst attack. Does 12%.
- Jigglypuff: Trips and slides into opponents. Does 10%.
- Ness: Puts both hands in front of him, low ending lag. Does 10%.
 Dash attack in Super Smash Bros Melee
- Mario: Does a slide tackle like in Super Mario 64. Does 9%.
- Luigi: Dashes forward and attacks with a flurry of punches. Five hits, 2% each.
- Peach: Lunges forward and splits her hands apart, low ending lag. Does 12%.
- Dr. Mario: Same as Mario's, but has slightly more range. Does 9%.
- Bowser: Charges forward, bad starting and ending lag. Does 11%
- Donkey Kong: Kicks in front, has considerable ending lag. Does 11%.
- Yoshi: Rams forward with head. Does 8%.
- Link: Brings sword down in front of him. Does 12%.
- Zelda: Shoves her hands in front, with magic sparks coming out of them. Does 13%.
- Sheik: Spreads her arms apart and stops running, good range and speed. Does 10%.
- Ganondorf: Does a shoulder tackle. Does 14%.
- Young Link: Slashes in front of him and slows down, high knockback. Does 10%.
- Samus: Does a shoulder tackle. Does 13%.
- Ice Climbers: Leaps and swings hammers forward. Does 17% if both climbers hit.
- Kirby: Runs forward on fire. Kirby's movement will not stop if he reaches the edge of a ledge while during the dash, a property unique to this dash attack. Does 8%.
- Fox: Runs forward and sticks foot out. Does 7%.
- Falco: Same as Fox. Does 9%.
- Pikachu: Jumps forward, headbutting. 8% damage.
- Jigglypuff: Trips and falls head first. Does 12%.
- Mewtwo: Holds out arms while sliding, inflicting damage with shadow energy. Does 9%.
- Pichu: Sticks his head out and trips mid-dash. Does 8%.
- Marth: Does a quick upward diagonal slash. Does 10% base, 13% tip.
- Roy: Slashes in front of him. Does 12%.
- Ness: Uses PK Brainshock, which releases 3 bubbles of PSI. Does 12%.
- Mr. Game & Watch: Puts on a footbal helmet and charges forward. Does 9%.
- Captain Falcon: Does a shoulder tackle. Does 10%.
If either of the Shield Buttons are pressed repeatedly right after attempting a dash attack, the attack will be cancelled and turned into a dash Grab.
 Dash attacks in Super Smash Bros. Brawl
- Mario: Does a sex kick slide tackle like in Super Mario 64. Very weak unless hit within initial few frames. Does 9%, hits on frames 6-29.
- Luigi: Swings his arms in a flurry of "sissy-fight"-like punches. Multiple hits; last hit has better knockback than the previous hits. Seven hits, does 8%, hits on frames 4-50.
- Peach: Pushes forward and then pulls hands apart, very quick and good range. Two hits, sends foes up. Does 8%, hits on frames 6-19.
- Bowser: Falls onto his belly. Good range and good knockback, but some considerable ending lag. Does 11%, hits on frames 10-19.
- Donkey Kong: Lifts up foot and slides on his other foot. Moves forward a bit and has considerable ending lag. Does 11%, hits on frames 9-20.
- Diddy Kong: Does a slow cartwheel. Multiple hits, last having best but bad knockback. Has minimal ending lag. Can be dash attack canceled. Does 9%, hits on frames 9-23.
- Yoshi: Rams forward with head. Good range, speed and knockback. Does 9%, hits on frames 10-23.
- Wario: Slides down and forward like a baseball runner getting picked off. Very fast start up lag but considerable ending lag. Can be dash attack canceled. Does 7%, hits on frames 4-23.
- Link: Crosses sword in front of his body. Semi-spike occasionally. Can be dash attack canceled. Does 12%, hits on frames 8-11.
- Zelda: Pushes forward with magical sparks tipping her hands. Does 12%.
- Sheik: Slashes hand forward. Good range and speed, moves forward a bit. Can be used for dash attack canceling. Does 7%.
- Ganondorf: Shoulder tackles foe. Can KO at high percentages, surprisingly fast, and sends the foe skyward. Second strongest dash attack. Does 15%, hits on frame 10-19.
- Toon Link: Same as Link's, worse range and knockback, faster and better damage. Does 10%, hits on frames 9-11.
- Samus: Same as Ganondorf's. Horizontal knockback, though. Does 10%, hits on frames 8-16.
- Zero Suit Samus: Leaps a bit off the ground and slides forward, sticking foot out. Is a sex kick. Can lock if buffered right. Does 7%, hits on frame 6.
- Pit: Slices sword before him. Good for setting up glide attacks. Does 12%, hits on frames 7-9.
- Ice Climbers: Swing their hammers sideways quickly. Does 11%, hits on frames 11-12.
- R.O.B.: Jabs arms quickly forward. Exact same animation as fair. Does 5%, hits on frames 7-9.
- Kirby: Does a breakdancing spin on his head similar to his Yoyo kick from Kirby Super Star. Multiple hits, last with good knockback. Six hits, does 14%, hits on frame 12.
- Meta Knight: Slides forward tackling with foot. Only non-throw move of MK's that doesn't require Galaxia. More damage at body, not foot. Does 8%, hits on frames 5-11.
- King Dedede: Trips and belly flops powerfully forward, though cripplingly slow. One of few dash attacks that has potential KOing power. Does 16%, hits on frame 26. Strongest dash attack.
- Olimar: Cartwheels quickly forward. Bad range, but faster and stronger than Diddy's, and trips at the end. Does 11%, hits on frame 8.
- Fox: Same as Zero Suit Samus's, but more vertical knockback. Good comboing potential. Does 7%, hits on frames 3-6.
- Falco: Same as Fox's, but better combo potential due to dair meteor smash and dash attack canceling. Does 9%, hits on frame 4.
- Wolf: Does a flip-kick forward. Only dash move that doesn't utilize forward momentum. If hit with his toes, sends the opponent forward, but if hit with his legs, it send the opponent up. Can be dash attack canceled. Does 9%, hits on frames 9-18.
- Captain Falcon: Rams a shoulder into the opponent. Quick but extremely unsafe on shields due to lack of shieldstun and high ending lag. Does 12%, hits on frames 7-16.
- Pikachu: Does a running headbutt. Good knockback but considerable ending lag. Does 7%, hits on frames 5-16.
- Squirtle: Slams the back side of his shell at the foe. Does 10%, hits on frames 6-24.
- Ivysaur: Tackles foe. Good power, can KO around 100% on lighter characters. Does 12%, hits on frames 4-20.
- Charizard: Extends leg out at the foe, kicking them. Has considerable ending lag. Does 11%, hits on frames 10-18.
- Lucario: Kicks forward. Foe goes up and behind Lucario. There is no aura in this attack. Does 10%, hits on frames 7-18.
- Jigglypuff: Forces head through foe. Hits foe backwards and sets up for later quick combos. Can be used for dash attack canceling to compensate Jigglypuff´s slow ground mobility. Does 10%, hits on frames 5-15.
- Marth: Swings sword powerfully up. High priority, but slow. Does 10% at the base, 13% at the tip, hits on frame 13.
- Ike: Brings Ragnell around about 250 degrees from back to front. Sometimes knocks foes behind him if hits with Ike or bottom of Ragnell. Great range. Does 8%, hits on frames 8-18.
- Ness: Pushes three bubbles of PSI power at foe. has vertical knockback and good range. Does 13%, hits on frame 7.
- Lucas: Charges forward while sliding and holding a PSI hexagon, then unleashes and jams it into foe. If hits close to Lucas, foe goes high up, with capability to Star KO. Other wise, pushes foe forward. Has considerable starting and ending lag. Does 12%, hits on frames 17-22.
- Mr. Game & Watch: Dons a helmet and slides forward on the ground, like Wario. Has sex kick-like properties. Slow, but has good knockback. Does 11%, hits on frames 6-29.
- Snake: Does an extremely ranged front flip. Great knockback, moves forward quite a bit. Can be dash attack canceled. Does 11%, hits on frame 5.
- Sonic: Curls up into a Spinball while running. Based on the Spin Attack from Sonic the Hedgehog (game). Does 6%, hits on frames 5-23.
 Stalled dash attack
A stalled dash attack is essentially a dash attack that is performed at the last possible frame of the characters' running animation, similar to dash dancing in Melee. The character will perform their dash attack while they appear to stand still instead of their basic neutral attack. This is most notable when used by Snake, Luigi and Donkey Kong.
 Notable dash attacks
- Falco, Jigglypuff, Link, Sheik, Snake, Wolf, Wario and Sonic all receive a great momentum boost when dash attack canceling.
- Pit will perform an additional attack if he is weilding a battering item.
- King Dedede's dash attack is well known for its power and large hitbox duration.
- Ike's dash attack is used very often due to its long range.
- Kirby is the only character in the series to have his dash attack changed in every game.
Attacks in the Super Smash Bros. series
|Standard ground attacks||Neutral attack · Dash attack|
|Tilt attacks||Forward tilt · Up tilt · Down tilt|
|Smash attacks||Forward smash · Up smash · Down smash|
|Aerial attacks||Neutral aerial · Forward aerial · Back aerial · Up aerial · Down aerial · Grab aerial · Glide attack|
|Throws||Grab · Pummel · Forward throw · Back throw · Up throw · Down throw|
|Get-up attacks||Floor attack · Edge attack|
|Special moves||Neutral special move · Side special move · Up special move · Down special move · Final Smash|