Pikachu using Skull Bash in Brawl.
|Article on Bulbapedia||Skull Bash|
Skull Bash (ロケットずつき Rokettozutsuki, Rocket Headbutt) is Pikachu and Pichu's side special move in Super Smash Bros. Melee. It is similar in appearance (also with similar sound effects) to Luigi's Green Missile, only without the chance of a misfire and neither Pikachu or Pichu can hold the charge infinitely. The move can be charged up to increase the damage and range of the attack. Pichu can charge for longer, but hurts itself upon releasing (1%); the distance covered and the knockback when fully charged is tremendous, dealing almost 40% and nearly covering the length of Final Destination. It is used in most Home Run Contest strategies in lieu of the bat (fully-charged, Skull Bash is nearly a one-hit KO from Pichu). Pichu's Skull Bash is dangerous because if it fully charged this attack very close to the edge and misses, it will self destruct.
In Brawl, Skull Bash charges much faster than in Melee, and is an excellent move to recover with as Pikachu does not enter a helpless state after using it in midair. When fully charged, Pikachu will go about as far as the size of Final Destination. Though, unlike the Green Missile, Pikachu will shoot forward. Even with its great distance, it's not used too often as Pikachu falls at a quick speed and the move itself is predictable. In Melee, Skull Bash has an electric effect when it hits, but not in Brawl, making it more like the Skull Bash from the games, where it has no element.
Skull Bash is based on a move with the same name in the Pokémon video games. It is a Normal-type attack introduced in Generation I. In the games, Skull Bash is a two-turn attack. On the first turn, the Pokémon using the move tucks its head in to prepare the attack and raise its Defense stat by one stage. On the second turn, the Pokémon launches forward to ram the foe with its head. The attack has a base power of 100, making it a powerful attack, and has 100% accuracy. The move used to not raise the user's defence on the turn that is selected in Generation I. The move is a technical machine (TM) and it was TM40 only in Generation I and could be learned by Pikachu then, but not in any subsequent games.
 Instruction booklet descriptions
Boost this attack's speed and power by holding the B Button before letting go of the button.
- In the Pokémon RPG's, Skull Bash is a Normal-type attack. However, Pichu's Skull Bash has electrical properties.
- Pichu cannot legitimately learn Skull Bash in Pokémon RPGs, along with Agility .
- But, Pikachu can learn Skull Bash via TM40 in Generation I, and Pikachu will retain the move if transferred into Generation II, which Melee was closest to. However, from Generation III onwards, Pikachu cannot learn Skull Bash at all.
- CPU Pikachus and Pichus will not use Skull Bash to recover. They will use Quick Attack and Agility, respectively, but they may use Skull Bash only on Player Pikachus and Pichus.
- CPU Pikachus and Pichus will never charge Skull Bash.
 Video of a Skull Bash technique