Stalling is defined as any action that deliberately avoids all fighting conflict to make the game unplayable. It involves the player using a move or technique to waste time, usually done in time matches or timed stock matches. Stalling is banned in tournaments, as tournaments use timed stock matches, and excessive stalling can prolong a tournament. Extreme stalling in a tourney will often have the smasher disqualified, though lesser degrees of stalling that the opponent is capable of dealing with is usually allowed. Outside of tournaments, stalling is considered quite annoying, or even "cheap".
 Examples of stalling
- Repeatedly using Homing Attack with Sonic or Kirby under a stage.
- Using Peach Bomber repeatedly against a wall without gaining height. However, this technique can be used for recovery in tournaments.
- Using Rising Pound repeatedly away from the other player. However, as with Peach Bomber, if this technique is being used for recovery, it is allowed in tournaments.
- Using Meta Knight's Infinite Dimensional Cape so he cannot be attacked.
- The Luigi Ladder.
- Using Meta Knight's two glides under the stage.
- Hanging on to the ledge and re-grabbing the ledge for prolonged periods of time, which is commonly referred to as planking.