- For a detailed ruleset, click here
- The next tournament is TBD.
Idea: SmashWiki Tournament
Alright, I just had an idea. Now now, before I even continue I need to know if this has been proposed or done before. If this is in violation of rules I'm unaware of then I obviously want to know. If so, stop reading and inform me below.
With that out of the way, let me continue. Quite honestly I am baffled that something similar to this hasn't been done before. I looked and unless I'm missing something, it hasn't.
What if we hosted an online Smash tournament for SmashWiki, by SmashWiki. Smash 4 would be a good start. Netplay is an option for other games but much less accessible. (That doesn't mean it can't be done, but I just don't think it will happen before the initial tournaments). Anyway, a sort of trial run bracket could be setup on Challonge. Those interested could sign up and we can see how it goes. Of course there will be kinks, but getting it to work in the first place what's important. As time goes on it could become a monthly or even weekly ritual in the future.
This is merely a thought or an idea. There is so little sustainment is in this proposal, which is exactly why I added it here instead of the active proposals. It can be moved there if I get an all-clear. The point of this is to get a personal reaction from others. I really don't expect many to warm up to it, but really take some time and chew on it. It's all in good fun and could even bring up a new vibe on the site.
EDIT: To address some questions you guys have been asking me, no specifics or exact details are even close to being decided. To reiterate, I really only want your opinion on having it in the first place (yay or nay sort of thing). I will work out the specifics if I get some input from a user with authority, then this whole forum will move to Proposals. Essentially, I needed to know if it would be shot down as soon as I threw it out here.
Here are some notes addressing your concerns and other points:
- Quick Notes
- Ruleset should be competitively viable, a casual tournament could happen using the method listed below.
- Tourney mode will not work imo, the options for a personal tournament are far too restrictive and are without merit.
- I would want the bracket (regardless of what resource is used, i.e. Challonge), to be run by a mod, admin, ext. on the site one it becomes official.
- While this tournament doesn't have to be ingrained into the very fabric of SmashWiki, I'm not simply asking users to join some random one-off tournament either. Similar to Smash Arena, I want this to be a community event taking place intermittently. Hell, imagine a sort of micro-power-rank thingy for the wiki or badges for winning. That'd be cool.
- In terms of which Sm4sh game, I'll let democracy decide when the time comes. Ideally, both versions! 2 brackets can run simultaneously.
Input, comments, and opinions.
- What kind of tournament? 3DS or Wii U? -- BeepYou, a user with no grammar at all :v (talk) 01:04, 26 February 2016 (EST)
- Well here it is: link. BaconMasterLuck o' the Irish. 15:25, 4 March 2016 (EST)
- Yeah, you friend each other; the final-ish ruleset can be found here. It'll probably answer all of your questions. BaconMasterLuck o' the Irish. 08:48, 13 March 2016 (EDT)
So...when's the next one? Penro 18:09, 19 March 2016 (EDT)
- Excellent question! Probably either this upcoming Friday or the one after that, if enough users are able to participate on one or the other. Then again, this upcoming Friday is Good Friday... maybe not then. BaconMaster 18:30, 19 March 2016 (EDT)
- Ahh, ok then. I won't be able to participate until I'm in college, which is a long time. Penro 18:36, 19 March 2016 (EDT)
Why can't we use Tourney mode for the matches and use challonge for the bracket? That way people won't have to add every single person to their friends list. We could delete the tourney after since it's results don't matter. A password could be used to block out anyone who doesn't access from SmashWiki. -- Ethan(Discussion) 18:11, 29 March 2016 (EDT)
- In terms of a 3DS tournament, that's impossible. Disaster Flare (talk) 18:15, 29 March 2016 (EDT)
- I didn't think about that. Wii U users could do it, but it's probably not that good of an idea since 3DS owners would still have to add everyone if they want to play with 3DS only users. Anyone got better ideas? -- Ethan(Discussion) 19:08, 29 March 2016 (EDT)
- Also, maybe because actual tournaments don't use tourney mode? Dots (talk) The Star Fox 19:39, 29 March 2016 (EDT)
- Yeah, that's why I said use challonge for the bracket. We use tourney for the matches so we don't have to add everyone to our friends lists. Actual tournaments have no reason since every smasher is gathered in one place for an offline tournament. -- Ethan(Discussion) 23:04, 29 March 2016 (EDT)