The Great Maze
The Great Maze
A map of The Great Maze, showing where the Subspacial Smashers and Bosses are.
|Universe||Super Smash Bros.|
|Home stage to||Tabuu|
The Great Maze is the 31st and final level of Super Smash Bros. Brawl 's Subspace Emissary. After many sections of the World of Trophies are sent to Subspace, Tabuu creates a large maze comprised of sections from each of the previously visited levels in the game. To complete this, the player must win a number of battles, against Subspacial clones of all the characters in the game (excluding Toon Link, Wolf, Sonic and Jigglypuff), and against all of the bosses (except for Master Hand and Crazy Hand).
There is no specific order in which the player must beat all the enemies, and it is possible to play as any character that has been rescued so far. Save Points and Warp points are dispersed throughout the maze. These two types of checkpoints are indicated by the Smash Bros. emblem mounted on a trophy stand and look like a forest clearing with a Subspace rip in the fabric of the sky. Save Points restore the player's stock to 4 and damage to 0%, as well as letting the player re-select characters or fiddle with stickers. Warp Points are identical but also allow teleportation between other visited Warp Points, as well as serving as both entry and exit points to and from the maze itself.
Pausing at any time displays a map of all visited rooms, as well as the player's current position inside a room and where doors and room-to-room links are. Once enough rooms have been visited to form a loop with the starting point, the map will also display all the locations of unbeaten characters and bosses in the form of a monster head.
Once all battles are completed, a large purple door becomes accessible in the center of the maze, which leads to Tabuu's Residence. On winning this final battle, the Great Maze is spread apart and all the levels and locations of the World of Trophies are returned to their normal state. The Isle of the Ancients, however, is not restored: the great number of Subspace Bombs going off in one place has taken it beyond repair. Afterwards, the Great Maze remains on the world map so that the player can re-enter it for completion later, and the stages on the Isle of the Ancients are still playable.
 Playable Characters
If no trophies are rescued in Subspace, the player will still have six characters to choose from in The Great Maze: Ness, Luigi, and Kirby are revived by the Brooches; King Dedede is revived by Luigi and Ness; Bowser is revived by King Dedede; and Sonic appears at the very end of the Great Maze. All other characters with the exception of Toon Link, Jigglypuff, and Wolf must be revived as trophies in Subspace.
- Captain Falcon
- Diddy Kong
- Donkey Kong
- Ice Climbers
- King Dedede
- Meta Knight
- Mr. Game & Watch
- Pokémon Trainer
 Stage recreations
|Stage recreated||Portion of stage||Song used|
|Midair Stadium||Petey Piranha battle||Airship Theme (Super Mario Bros. 3)|
|Skyworld||First descent||Step: The Plain|
|Second section||Step: The Plain|
|The Jungle||Vertical section||Jungle Level|
|The Lake||Rayquaza battle||Victory Road|
|The Ruined Zoo||Porky battle||Porky's Theme|
|The first section where Lucas ran away from the Porky Statue.||Snowman|
|Battlefield Fortress||Castle||Crimean Army Sortie|
|Outdoors (original)||Crimean Army Sortie|
|Underground||Step: The Cave|
|The Forest||Last section||The Dark World|
|Day-changing doors (original)||The Dark World|
|Research Facility||Elevator section||Opening / Menu (Metroid Prime)|
|The Lake Shore||Outdoor Jyk area||Step: The Plain|
|Path to the Ruins||Underground portion||Step: The Cave|
|Outdoor area||Gritzy Desert|
|The Ruins||Bulk of level||Underground Theme (Super Mario Land)|
|The Wilds I||Galleom battle||Boss Battle Song 1|
|The Wilds II||Bulk of level||Step: The Plain|
|Vertical section with slanted platforms (original)||Gritzy Desert|
|The Swamp||First area||Jungle Level|
|Swampy areas||Bramble Blast|
|Research Facility||Ridley battle||Vs. Ridley|
|3-switch door and associated areas (all original)||Opening / Menu (Metroid Prime)|
|Outside the Ancient Ruins||First portion of level||Gritzy Desert|
|Glacial Peak||Latter half of level||Frozen Hillside|
|Battleship Halberd Interior||Middle portion||Meta Knight's Revenge|
|Elevators in the Halberd (original)||Meta Knight's Revenge|
|Battleship Halberd Exterior||Starboard exterior||Meta Knight's Revenge|
|Battleship Halberd Bridge||Duon battle||Boss Battle Song 1|
|Subspace Bomb Factory II||Meta Ridley battle||Vs. Ridley|
 Vs. stages
 Tabuu's Residence
|Home stage to||Tabuu|
|Availability||The Subspace Emissary|
Tabuu's Residence is the common fan name given to the stage on which the player fights Tabuu. It is very similar to Final Destination, consisting only of one similarly long and purple platform, though slightly longer and differently patterned (with a central design similar to that on Tabuu's wings); and with its own background visuals, somewhat reminiscent of the version of Final Destination in Super Smash Bros. Melee. Its music is titled Boss Battle Song 2. The stage can be accessed in other modes via hacking techniques.
The Great Maze has many different music tracks in it, some of which only appear during the fights with the dark clones or the bosses.
- Against The Dark Knight - False Marth, False Ike
- Airship Theme (Super Mario Bros. 3) - Petey Piranha, False Mario, False Bowser, False Yoshi, False Wario
- Battle For Storm Hill - False Diddy Kong, False Donkey Kong
- Boss Battle Song 1 - Galleom, Duon
- Boss Battle Song 2 - Tabuu
- Bramble Blast - The Swamp Recreated
- Castle/Boss Fortress (Super Mario World / SMB 3) - False Peach, False Pit
- Crimean Army Sortie - Part of Battlefield Fortress Recreated
- Flat Zone (Melee) - False Mr. Game & Watch, False R.O.B.
- Frozen Hillside - Part of The Glacial Peak Recreated
- Gerudo Valley - False Link, False Zelda/Sheik, False Ganondorf
- Gourmet Race - False Kirby, False Meta Knight, False King Dedede, False Olimar
- Gritzy Desert -Outside the Ancient Ruins Recreated, Path to the Ruins Recreated, Area South of Midair Stadium
- Ice Climber - False Ice Climbers
- Jungle Level - Area East of Tabuu, The Jungle Recreated
- Luigi's Mansion Theme - False Luigi
- Meta Knight's Revenge - Battleship Halberd Recreated
- Opening / Menu (Metroid Prime) - Research Facility Recreated
- Porky's Theme - Porky Minch
- Save Point - Inside Save Points, Door to Tabuu's Residence
- Sector 1 - False Samus, False Fox, False Falco, False Captain Falcon, False Snake
- Snowman - The Ruined Zoo Recreated
- Step: Subspace - Near Pink Save Points
- Step: The Cave - Part of The Ruins Recreated, Part of Battlefield Fortress Recreated
- Step: The Plain - Skyworld Recreated, The Lake Shore Recreated, The Wilds Recreated
- The Dark World - The Forest Recreated
- Underground Theme (Super Mario Land) - Part of The Ruins Recreated
- Unfounded Revenge / Smashing Song of Praise - False Lucas, False Ness
- Victory Road - Rayquaza, False Pikachu, False Pokémon Trainer, False Lucario
- Vs. Ridley - Ridley, Meta Ridley
- Despite having only 4 stock at a time available for the initial playthrough, 6 are available on any successive playthroughs.
- Some parts of The Great Maze are combinations of older stages, such as The Forest with the day-changing doors from The Lake.
- Also, there are new areas in from the some of the older stages that didn't exist before, such as the elevator room in The Halberd, or the icy floors in The Ruined Zoo.
- Many of the stage remakes have a different music than the original versions.
- Some of the area recreations are laid out in such a way that the player will go through a level in the opposite direction from the first time.
- There is not a single R.O.B. in the Great Maze (except the playable one). This suggests that they have all been destroyed in the Isle of Ancients.
- The Halberd was destroyed and never entered Subspace, yet it still shows up in The Great Maze.
- All the Primid types appear in this level.
 External Links