- For fighter info, see Lucas (SSBB).
The in-game sprite of older Lucas from Mother 3.
||Mother 3 (2006)
|Smash Bros. appearances
|Console of origin
||Game Boy Advance (Originally planned for the Nintendo 64)
|English voice actor
|Article on WikiBound
Template:Nihongo is a character in the EarthBound/Mother universe, debuting in the Japan-only Mother 3 for Game Boy Advance.
Lucas is the main protagonist of Mother 3. He is a timid young boy that is 9-10 years old at the beginning of the game and 12-13 at by the end. Lucas is Claus' younger twin. After the intro when he grows up, he is drafted by Wess to find Duster and Kumatora. He learns PSI (PK in Brawl and in Japan) and begins to battle against the Pig Mask Army to be able to pull 4 of the 7 sacred needles to awaken the dark dragon living under the Nowhere Islands.
In Super Smash Bros. Melee
For some time, a rumor stated that in Super Smash Bros. Melee, Lucas was meant to replace Ness as a playable character, but Ness was included due to time constraints. The rumor was confirmed by Masahiro Sakurai himself on July 17th, 2001 when he updated the original Smabura-Ken with Ness's profile. Quote Sakurai-san:
||Actually, at first, I planned to change him [Ness] into the protagonist of Mother 3 [Lucas], but for various reasons during the delay, I settled back on the original idea. (実は当初、MOTHER3の主人公に変更する予定でしたが、いろいろあって遠回りしながら、元のさやに収まりました。)
Both Ness and Lucas would ultimately appear as playable characters in Super Smash Bros. Brawl.
In Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Lucas, as he appears in Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Lucas is a playable newcomer to the Super Smash Bros. series in Brawl, becoming the becoming the first non-Fire Emblem character in the series to have had his original game released only in Japan. His special moves, originally revealed on the Smash Bros. DOJO!! website, differ only slightly from Ness'. For example, Lucas' PK Thunder goes through opponents, while Ness' PK Thunder does not, indicating him as a semi-clone, though his other attacks are mostly unique.
The Lucas trophy from Brawl
- The younger of twin brothers living in Tazmily Village in the Nowhere Islands. He's a kind boy who can communicate with animals, but he's shy and never really got over the tragedy that struck his mother. He fights a warped dictatorship, hunts the Seven Needles, and crosses swords with his missing brother, Claus. In the end, the young boy with psychic PSI powers grows up.
- : Mother 3 (Japan Only)
- Lucas' PSI shapes are polygon based, compared to Ness' circle based PSI effects. This may just be a way to tell the attacks apart, and is most clearly seen in the dash attacks.
- Lucas' home village is given as Tazumili in the NTSC Brawl, but in Mother 3 the village is actually named Tazmily. This was corrected in the PAL release of Brawl.
- Lucas is among only three characters (with the Ice Climbers and Sheik) to have appeared in only one game outside of their Smash appearances. Lucas, however, differs slightly from the others, as he was meant to be a playable character in the ill-fated Nintendo 64 version of Mother 3, AKA EarthBound 64. .
- Strangely, although Lucas has only appeared in a Japan only game in the EarthBound (Mother) series, he speaks English in all versions of Super Smash Bros. Brawl except the Japanese and South Korean versions.