s Target Smash!! Lvl.1. Note the size of the targets compared to Wolf.
Ice Climbers SSBM
Target Smash!! (ターゲットをこわせ!! Tāgetto o Kowase!!, Destroy the Targets!!), known as Break the Targets! in Super Smash Bros and Target Test in Super Smash Bros. Melee, is a mini-game appearing in the first three installments of the Super Smash Bros. series. The goal of the game is to smash all 10 targets scattered throughout a special arena as quickly as possible.
The game records the shortest time taken to smash all ten targets. If a character has never smashed all the targets, the game will also record how many targets were smashed in that time. There is also a total time that is kept that includes the cumulative time taken to clear every character's stage, which appears only after all characters have cleared their stage.
Each character in SSB has their own target test. Some target test areas resemble the "construction yard" theme from the original Donkey Kong, while others use light-coloured blocks and some are mostly grey metal. All target tests utilize the unique abilities of their character. For example, Mario's requires him to use his Fireball to smash at least one target.
In 1P Game during the first bonus stage, this mode is announced as Bonus 1: Break the Targets.
- Captain Falcon's target test has a section in the lower right where he can pass through the wall. 
- Repeatedly pausing and unpausing the game can "jam" the timer and allow the player to move the character without the timer displaying any time as having passed. If done perfectly, the player gains up to two frames to input commands between pauses. 
- Breaking the last target at the exact moment that the character passes a blast line will result in both the "Complete" and "Failure" graphics displaying on screen. The time for the target test is still recorded when the player hovers over the character's icon on the target test character select screen. 
- Luigi - Clear Break the Targets! with all 8 normal characters.
In Melee, like SSB, every character has their own Target Test. Their target tests often require use of character specific techniques, such as Ness requiring to use his PK Thunder for some. Some characters' target tests reference locations in their own series, such as the Ice Climbers' target test looking much like the levels in their game, and Mario and Donkey Kong's target test resembling the setting of Donkey Kong. Some stages even include images, symbols, or other characters from the character's game (such as the Triforce appearing in Zelda/Sheik's stage and the Condor at the top of the Ice Climbers' stage).
Some unique traits occur in each character's Target Test:
- When playing the Ice Climbers' test, only one Climber is present. Furthermore, it will always play the track "Icicle Mountain" instead of the usual track.
- Captain Falcon's test features a wall with a graphic of dolphins on it, referencing the codename for the Nintendo GameCube: Dolphin.
- Mr. Game and Watch's test takes place on a modified form of Flat Zone, making it the only Target Test to feature a normal stage. The blast lines also act as walls, making it impossible to fail by self-destructing.
- Luigi's test contains a lone platform in the shape of a Nintendo Gamecube; the model for the GameCube is identical to that of its corresponding trophy, and features a variety of details that cannot be seen without an unrestricted camera hack, such as an ATI sticker on the front of it.
- Young Link's test requires use of wall jumping in order to complete, making it the only test in the game to require such a technique.
In Classic Mode during the first bonus stage, this mode is announced as Break the targets!, resembling the original Super Smash Bros.' name.
The Target Trophy in Melee
- Mr. Game & Watch - Clear Target Test with every character (other than Mr. Game & Watch).
- Dream Land stage - Clear Target Test with every character.
- Target trophy - Clear Target Test with every character.
- Lon Lon Milk trophy - Clear every character's Target Test with a total time less than 25:00 (average of one minute per character).
- Sheriff trophy - Clear every character's Target Test with a total time less than 12:30 (average of 30 seconds per character).
Several changes have been made in Brawl, ranging from minor aesthetic alterations to complete functional changes. Most notably, instead of each character featuring their own individual stage, there are five generic Target Smash stages of varying difficulty that all characters can play on. Increasing difficulties feature smaller targets and bigger stages, making it both harder to break the targets as well as move from one target to another. The color of the targets also match the difficulty color.
For a first in bonus games, some stages incorporate items. As with most Stadium games in Brawl, Co-op mode is available. Players can now record and save replay footage of their attempts at completing the mini-game.
Some moves that do not inflict damage or require a grab to affect foes oddly work in Target Smash!!, including:
This is a simple course, with very large targets, all near each other. It appears to be set in The Lake.
This is somewhat more complex. There are various high cliffs that have Targets at the top. There are also items scattered around the stage. It appears to be set in The Wilds.
This stage is unique as it has a slide launcher, a spring, as well as a conveyor belt. It is set in a partial Box. It too has items. It appears to be set in The Swamp.
This level is icy, causing players to slip. Most of the targets move, often requiring perfect timing to complete fast enough. There is one non-moving target that is very difficult to get, located at the bottom right of the stage, and for some characters, it has to be gotten last. This stage has no items. It appears to be set in the Glacial Peak or in Summit.
This is the final Target Smash level. It has small targets, spikes, springs, items, and moving platforms. It appears to be set in the Ruins.
All of the challenges associated with Target Smash!! can be broken by a Golden Hammer.
- Lucario - Clear all levels of Target Smash!! with one character.
- Mr. Game & Watch - Clear Target Smash!! with 30 characters.
- Apples Trophy - Clear Target Smash!! level 1.
- Stafy Trophy - Clear Target Smash!! on level 1 with 10 characters.
- Super Scope Trophy - Clear Target Smash!! level 1 with all characters.
- Palutena's Bow Trophy - Clear Target Smash!! level 1 in under 15 seconds.
- Peanut Popgun Trophy - Clear Target Smash!! level 2.
- Pellets Trophy - Clear Target Smash!! level 2 with 10 characters.
- Blast Box Trophy - Clear Target Smash!! level 2 with all characters.
- Excite Truck Music - Clear Target Smash!! level 2 in under 19 seconds.
- Wario Bike Trophy - Clear Target Smash!! level 3.
- Ashnard Trophy - Clear Target Smash!! level 3 with 10 characters.
- Silver the Hedgehog Trophy - Clear Target Smash!! level 3 with all characters.
- Ray MK III Trophy - Clear Target Smash!! level 3 in under 20 seconds.
- Rocketbarrel Pack Trophy - Clear Target Smash!! level 4.
- Musketeer Daltania Trophy - Clear Target Smash!! level 4 with 10 characters.
- King K. Rool Trophy - Clear Target Smash!! level 4 with all characters.
- Cardboard Box Trophy - Clear Target Smash!! level 4 in under 32 seconds.
- Title (3D Hot Rally) Music - Clear Target Smash!! level 5.
- Outset Link Trophy - Clear Target Smash!! level 5 with 10 characters.
- Grey Fox Trophy -Clear Target Smash!! level 5 with all characters.
- Combo Cannon Trophy - Clear Target Smash!! level 5 in under 30 seconds.
In Super Smash Bros. 4
Target Smash has been replaced by Target Blast in both versions of Super Smash Bros. 4. Additionally, in the Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS mode Smash Run, some Challenge Doors contain small Target Smash challenges.
Riddling is a mini-game created by players, wherein the player attempts to break as many targets as possible before touching the ground. Exact rules vary, but the most commonly accepted rules are:
Sheik's early SSBM Target Test
- In Melee and Brawl, when played from the Stadium menu, the timer runs even when the game is paused.
- In Melee, an early Target Test stage for Sheik can be accessed though the Debug Menu. The remnants of the stage, however, consist only of a grey platform and three targets placed to form a triangle. Breaking all three targets ends the match.
- Strangely, on Mr. Game & Watch's Target Test in Melee the other characters will not be 2D.