Ike's forward smash hitting Snake, showing the boomerang effect.
There are various attacks in the Smash Bros. series that cause the slash effect. Usually caused by sharp objects, slash attacks are buffed by Slash Attack stickers and defended against by Slash Resistance ones. Slash attacks can be easily identified by their impact effects: they have a white and blue circular slash in Super Smash Bros. and a boomerang-shaped impending angle indicator in Brawl (though grass attacks use this as well); while the impact sound is also often a clue, it cannot be used definitively (for example, many of Toon Link's and Young Link's sword attacks do not sound like slash attacks). There are two sounds for slashing in Super Smash Bros., and three in Super Smash Bros. Melee. In Brawl, there is only one sound effect for all slashing attacks, only differing in speed and pitch. For example, Link's down air has a deep, slow slashing sound, while swipes of Bowser's claws are quick and have a higher pitch.
 List of slash attacks by characters
- Bowser - jab, down tilt, up tilt, up smash, down smash, forward aerial (except in Melee), back aerial, down aerial, up throw, Koopa Klaw (non-grab), Flying Slam (in SSE), trip attack
- Charizard - Jab, up tilt, up smash, down tilt, back air (first part), pummel, recovering attacks (ledge and floor), glide attack
- Falco - (only apply to Brawl except for down tilt and Falco Phantasm) - jab, down tilt, up tilt, forward smash, forward aerial, up aerial (Melee only), Falco Phantasm
- Fox - Up smash (sweetspotted, Brawl only), Fox Illusion
- Ike - All normal attacks except two first hits of neutral attack, pummel and throws, Quick Draw, Aether, Counter, Eruption (at the tip of the sword)
- King Dedede - Waddle Dee Toss (Waddle Doos and Gordos only), Super Dedede Jump (stars)
- Kirby - Up smash (sweetspotted, Brawl and Melee only), Final Cutter; can copy Hero's Bow, Nayru's Love, Shield Breaker, Chomp, Palutena's Arrow, Mach Tornado, Wolf's Blaster and Eruption
- Link - All normal attacks except for neutral aerial, back aerial, pummels, throws (excluding up throw) and sour-spotted grab air (Brawl only), Hero's Bow, Boomerang (sweetspotted, Melee only), Gale Boomerang, Spin Attack, Triforce Slash
- Lucas - first hit of up smash (though still makes a magic sound)
- Luigi - Forward smash
- Marth - All attacks except throws and pummels
- Meta Knight - All attacks except dash attack and throws (excluding back throw)
- Mewtwo - Forward tilt (sweet-spotted). Also, forward aerial has a dark effect but uses a slash sound.
- Mr. Game & Watch - Judge (4), back aerial
- Peach - tip of forward tilt, down smash (Brawl only), dash attack (second hit, Brawl only), Peach Parasol (open parasol)
- Pit - All standard attacks except up tilt and ledge attack, forward throw, Palutena's Arrow, Angel Ring
- Roy - All attacks except sour-spots, throws, pummels, up smash, last hits of Double-Edge Dance, Flare Blade, Counter and Blazer
- R.O.B. - Gyro
- Sonic - Forward aerial, up throw
- Sheik - Jab (except consecutive hits in Melee), dash attack, up smash, Chain, and Needle Storm
- Toon Link - All normal attacks except for pummel and throws, Hero's Bow, Spin Attack, Triforce Slash
- Wario - Chomp
- Wolf - jab, forward tilt, down smash, forward aerial, up aerial, down aerial, all throws except forward throw, Blaster (bayonet attached to blaster), Wolf Flash (non-sweetspotted)
- Young Link - All normal attacks except neutral aerial, back aerial, down aerial if hits from above, pummel and throws (excepting up throw), Spin Attack
- Zelda - Nayru's Love, Farore's Wind (beginning), forward tilt
- Zero Suit Samus - up tilt, up aerial
 List of slash attacks by items
 List of slash attacks by enemies and bosses
- In Melee, two slash attacks that collide will produce a different set of clang noises, more reminiscent of swords clashing. Examples are Link's sword colliding with another sword, or any metal or sharp object used by a character colliding with another, such as Bowser's claws or Mewtwo's tail.