From SmashWiki, the Super Smash Bros. wiki
A ping is the sound effect used for very powerful attacks, and is most often associated with the Home-Run Bat. In Brawl's trophy description for the Home-Run Bat, the sound is described as "KREEEEENG!", while the Smash Bros. DOJO!! variously described it as "PWANG!", "PING!", or "Pwaaaang!". The sound is impossible to miss, and hearing it usually means that someone just got hit by a very powerful attack.
Compared to the rather generic attack noises for other attacks (especially outside of the NTSC-J versions of the game), the ping is very distinct. It is also used in the opening cutscene. The attacks that use the ping sound effect are;
In Super Smash Bros. Melee, attacks were given more realistic and varied sound effects. However, Melee did introduce some new attacks that use the ping sound effect, those being;
- Mr. Game & Watch's Judgement stage #9.
- The Freezie
- Some other ice-based attacks such as Judgement stage #8 used a slight variation of the ping to indicate a hit.
- Luigi's Super Jump Punch now only makes the sound when it connects while on the ground.
The ping is also heard during the cutscene where Giga Bowser emerges from the defeated Bowser's trophy in Adventure Mode
Brawl changed sound effects for certain items and attacks.
- The only ice-based attack to now ping is Judge #8, as the Freezie now uses its traditional sound effect from Mario Bros.
- Ness's forward smash has been changed to sound more wooden, and "CRACK"s like a real bat.
- Luigi's down taunt now pings also, most likely to make it more noticeable, since Bonuses no longer exist to indicate when one has connected successfully. This could also be considered as a joke, in that most ping attacks are excessively powerful, but the taunt only does 2% damage and moderate fixed knockback; however, the move can potentially One-hit KO when used as a meteor smash.
- The Dragoon makes a ping sound effect when it attacks, with added echo, regardless of whether the Dragoon strikes or not.
- In addition to the previous changes from the original and Melee, one new move, Light Arrow, also produces the sound.
New items and attacks that use the sound effect include: