|A boss in||Brawl|
|Article on Super Mario Wiki||Petey Piranha|
 Petey Piranha in the Super Smash Bros. series
Petey Piranha appears as the first boss in Super Smash Bros. Brawl's Subspace Emissary mode, holding the cages of both Princess Peach and Princess Zelda at the end of the Midair Stadium. The player must destroy one of the cages (attacking Petey's head splits the attack's damage to both cages). Aside from the cages, Petey's head is his only damageable area; his body and arms cannot be hit.
When Petey is defeated, whichever cage is more damaged will break, freeing the princess inside. The princess who was not saved will be turned into a trophy by Wario. At the last level, Tabuu resurrects Petey (along with the other bosses) and sends him after the heroes in The Great Maze.
Unlike in most Mario games, where Petey has a cartoonish voice, SSBB has him using fearsome roars. This could be the result of Tabuu's power, or just to make him more realistic (the same has been done to Bowser, Diddy Kong and Donkey Kong).
Petey has only two main attacks. The first involves swinging one of the two cages along the ground. The second is a jumping attack, where Petey tries to stomp the player. Any contact with Petey or the cages will damage the player and meteor smash them as he comes down from a jump.
When either cage is reduced to half health, Petey will roar and his head will glow red momentarily. Petey will then speed up his attacks and often jump in a different pattern, usually two times in a row; his attacks also deal slightly more damage.
 HP and damage taken
It is currently believed that attacking a cage always deals ×1.0 damage, while attacking Petey will deal the above damage to each cage.
Petey Piranha first appeared in Super Mario Sunshine as the boss for levels 2 and 5 of Bianco Hills. In both level 2 and 5, his main methods of attacks are spitting out large amounts of brown goop on Mario, and if the player gets close enough, hitting Mario with his head by spinning it around himself. In level 5, he now has the ability to swing his arm to cause a tornado that sends Mario flying upward. Petey Piranha also appears as a boss in New Super Mario Bros. He will fly above the player and try to stomp on him or her. In Brawl, Petey Piranha is the first boss of the Subspace Emissary. One of his attacks involve trying to hit the player with the cages he is holding. The swinging motion is similar to his swinging motion in Super Mario Sunshine, except it does not cause a tornado. The stomping attack that Petey Piranha does in Brawl is very similar to his attack in New Super Mario Bros.
 Trophy Info
A gigantic Piranha Plant. Unlike his pipe-inhabiting cousins, he uses his legs to walk around. He can fly, too. As you might expect, he often appears as a boss character in Mario's adventures. This may come as a surprise, but he also displays surprising dexterity in kart races and ball games.
- Super Mario Sunshine (2002)
- New Super Mario Bros. (2006)
 Moveset Gallery
- If one breaks both cages simultaneously by only attacking Petey's head, the game will randomly decide which princess is freed.
- In the Great Maze level of the Subspace Emissary, and Boss Battles Mode, Petey's cages are empty and the background is changed to daylight.
- During the cutscene before the first fight with Petey, a cannonball KOs Mario and knocks him out of the stadium. While Petey's silhouette can be seen through the smoke the cannonball flies out of, Petey has never had the ability to spit cannonballs (only sludgeballs).
- Petey's defeated animation causes him to catch fire, no matter what move was used to defeat him.
- Almost comically, if one redoes the fight from the first level against Petey using Peach or Zelda, they will still be seen in the cage with exactly the same costume.
- If one looks closely at the cages in the cut-scene "Princesses, Both Captured and False", the cages that the trophies of Peach and Zelda are in are the exact ones Petey used.
- Petey Piranha is the only boss to have two health bars. He is also the only boss that does not have his name displayed next to them. In the Subspace Emissary, the names displayed next to the health bars are Peach's Cage and Zelda's Cage; in Boss Battles, the word "Cage" is displayed next to both health bars.
- If a player were to jump in front of Petey Piranha's face, they would appear in Petey's mouth.
- The player will also be inside his cages if he stands in front of them.
|SSB||Master Hand · Metal Mario · Giant Donkey Kong|
|Melee||Crazy Hand · Giga Bowser · Master Hand|
|Brawl||Crazy Hand · Duon · Galleom · Master Hand · Meta Ridley · Petey Piranha · Porky Minch · Rayquaza · Ridley · Tabuu|