- This article is about Kirby's appearance in Super Smash Bros.. For the character in other contexts, see Kirby.
in Super Smash Bros.
|Other Smash Bros. appearances||in Melee|
Kirby (カービィ, Kābī) is a starter character in Super Smash Bros.. He is known for his great recovery, quick attacks, and surprisingly long-range aerials. His trademark move is Swallow, which allows him to suck in enemies and steal their neutral special attacks.
Kirby ranks 2nd due to having fast aerials, a moderately good recovery, and tilts which allow him to perform easy combos, and zero-death most of the cast in many situations. His u-tilt is possibly the best move in the entire series as it can break shields alone, has a massive disjointed hitbox, and since it can combo into itself multiple times. Kirby's only bad matchup is Pikachu and arguably Fox on Hyrule.
Kirby is a small, floaty, and lightweight character. This means he is difficult to combo, but easy to KO (especially by a star KO). His signature move is Swallow, which allows him to use an opponent's neutral special attack. His down special move, Stone, makes Kirby difficult to juggle despite being light and floaty, but it leaves Kirby vulnerable when changing back to normal.
In generally, Kirby possesses quick, powerful moves. Some of his moves are infamous for possesing disjointed hitboxes (such as his u-tilt), making them difficult to counter and punish. These factors give Kirby incredible combo potential. Kirby's throws are also fairly powerful, and his quick grab speed allows him to use them efficiently. For KOing, he can utilize his very quick Smash attacks, as well as his quick, powerful dair spike for gimping. Kirby's main weaknesses is his above mentioned light weight.
 Ground attacks
- Neutral attack: Double Jab + Weak Punches 3%, 4%, then 1% per punch. The first two jabs have short range, though the later ones have better range than most neutral attacks.
- Forward tilt: Roundhouse kick. Rather short range, but fast. Can be angled for a 1% change in damage either way. 10% damage.
- Down tilt: Low kick. Kirby puts his foot out with a slightly longer duration compared to most down tilts in the game. Great gimping move. 9% damage.
- Up tilt: Vertical kick. Widely regarded as being one of the best attacks in the game and arguably the series due to a combination of high damage (14% when it connects clean, 10% late), quick speed (repeated uses can easily break shields), comboability (can combo into itself for up to 60%+ depending on the opponent), and a ridiculously disjointed hitbox with a range of more than one Kirby length both horizontally and vertically; the combined range and high damage also makes it easy to outprioritize almost all attacks (even a Falcon Punch, as its primary hitbox is just within the cancellation range).
- Dash attack: Slide Tackle. This move is fast, good for comboing use, though shielding proves otherwise. 10% damage.
- Side smash: Jump Kick. fast, good range with long hitbox. Good power and knockback scaling as well, being able to KO most of the cast at around 80%-100%. The move launches opponents slightly into the air, so at low percentages it can be followed up with an up smash or another f-smash. It is the 2nd best side smash in the game after Pikachu's due to its hurtbox and power. Has some ending lag Does 17% damage.
- Down smash: Spinning Splits. Spins with his feet flat on the ground with decent duration, this move knocks the foe horizontally with power. 18% damage.
- Up smash: Flip kick. A fast flip kick that is very similar to Fox's and Pikachu's, but with slower start-up and slightly less knockback. Rarely used competitively outside of vs. Jigglypuff. 16% damage.
 Other attacks
- Ledge attack- Flips whilst getting back on stage. 5% damage.
- 100% ledge attack- Slowly picks himself up and slides forward, like his dash attack. 5% damage.
- Floor attack- Kicks on both sides and gets up. 6% damage.
- Neutral aerial: Extends body with feet out and arms out, making Kirby's whole body a hitbox. Sex kick properties. 15% damage. Useful out of shield move. good finisher.
- Forward aerial: Forward Drill Kick. 8 hits, 2%/hit, 6% on the 8th. Has decent knockback, allowing use for edgeguarding. Gives Kirby a slight increase in horizontal movement allowing for a slightly better recovery. Can be easily DI'd out of. if only the last hits are connected, it is guaranteed to combo into a forward smash.
- Back aerial: Back Kick. Kirby puts both of his feet behind him, making a viable move for edgeguarding. 16% damage.
- Down aerial: Drill Kick. 3% per hit, up to 10 hits. When used on a grounded foe, if the move doesn't finish when Kirby reaches the ground, Kirby will land on the foe with some knockback, making up tilt follow ups impossible unless Kirby lands before the last hit of the move connects. The tips of Kirby's feet are a powerful meteor smash that can KO at medium percentages. With characters with poor recoveries such as Samus, Link, Ness, and Donkey Kong, it can KO at a mere 0-20%. If the move is not z-cancelled, there is an extra hurtbox at the end that deals slight knockback and damage and sends the opponent to the side (still is recommended to z-cancel.)
- Up aerial: Aerial Spin. Multi-hitting, around 10% when hits connect. This move would be his neutral aerial in later Smash Bros. games. The hitbox lasts amazingly long. Similarly to down -air, If the move is not z-cancelled, there is an extra hurtbox at the end that deals slight knockback and damage. (still is recommended to z-cancel.)
- Forward throw: Jumps high in the air, similar to a warpstar, and slams down. One of the few forward throw to launch foes upward. Has very high knockback, but low knockback scaling, meaning that it does not KO until 120% for most characters. Sends the opponent to the side in the Japanese version. Does 13%.
- Back throw: Performs a backwards suplex, slaming the opponent behind him. Sends the foe upwards and behind Kirby at an angle. Does 16%.
 Special Moves
|Up special||Final Cutter|
- Turns to his right, stands on tiptoes, inflates, and says "Hi!" while waving his arms three times in the air.
 In Competitive play
 Notable players
- See also: Category:Kirby professionals
 In Single Player
In Single Player mode, the player must face eight Kirbys in succession with each Kirby wielding the power (and the hat) of the original characters beside Kirby and Kirby himself or a secret character's hat.
Defeating all of the Kirbys that appear in order rewards the player the Kirby Rank bonus, giving 25000 points.
 From the Game
The 8-inch high Kirby hails from a distant, peaceful star. Like his simplistic appearance, he is an easily-understood character. True to his instincts, Kirby eats when he gets hungry and sleeps as soon as he grows tired. Nevertheless, Kirby remains a formidable opponent. In addition to his distinct flying and swallowing skills, he also has the ability to copy enemy attacks for ever-changing action.
- Kirby's Dream Land (GB)
- Kirby's Pinball Land (GB)
- Kirby Super Star (SNES) (Kirby's Fun (mispelled as Fan) Pak in the PAL version)
 From the Instruction Booklet
An 8-inch high creature from a distant star. He may look harmless, but using his Copy ability, Kirby becomes a formidable opponent.
- Kirby's SSB appearance is his only appearance where his down special move, Stone, can turn him into only one object. In later games he could turn into five different objects.
- Kirby shares quite a few of his attack animations with Jigglypuff, such as the ducking animation and neutral aerial.
- Kirby's up aerial in SSB was, in later games, changed to his neutral aerial, while his neutral aerial from SSB was never used again.
- Kirby's green palette swap is only usable in team battles.
Characters in Super Smash Bros.
|Newcomers||Captain Falcon · Donkey Kong · Fox · Jigglypuff · Kirby · Link · Luigi · Mario · Ness · Pikachu · Samus · Yoshi|
|Characters||Kirby (SSB · SSBM · SSBB) · Meta Knight (SSBB) · King Dedede (SSBB)|
|Side characters||Assist Trophies: Knuckle Joe|
Enemies: Gordo · Waddle Dee · Waddle Doo
|Stages||SSB: Dream Land|
SSBM: Fountain of Dreams · Green Greens · Past Stages: Dream Land
SSBB: Halberd · Melee Stages: Green Greens
|Items||SSB: Maxim Tomato · Star Rod|
SSBM: Maxim Tomato · Parasol · Star Rod · Warp Star
SSBB: Dragoon · Maxim Tomato · Superspicy Curry · Warp Star · Star Rod
|Trophies & Stickers||Trophies in Melee · Trophies in Brawl · Stickers in Brawl|
|Music||Music in Brawl|