A back throw is a throw performed by pressing backwards on the control stick or d-pad after having grabbed an enemy. These throws rarely lead to combos, but typically have good knockback (often more than forward throws) and thus can be used to throw enemies off the edge to be edge-guarded. In SSB, all back throws have very high knockback and are viable KO moves.
 Back throws in Super Smash Bros.
In Super Smash Bros., the best back throwers, similar to forward throws, are the characters with a good jab set up and virtually anyone who isn't a tether/extended reach grab. The majority of back throws have incredibly high knockback, being used next to ledges for gimp opportunities outside of Kirby who has an overall better forward throw. However, low knockback scaling requires them to be followed up by edgeguarding attacks to be used properly.
|Mario||Spins with the grabbed opponent some circles and throws them. Can KO at medium to high percentages. One of the many back throws in Super Smash Bros. that a player can jab reset into.||16%|
|Luigi||Same as Mario's, but stronger in terms of knockback. More difficult to set up due to a inferior down air and jab.||12%|
|Donkey Kong||Throws opponent very strongly behind him. Strongest backwards KO throw in Super Smash Bros.. Moderately easy to set up. Useful against the wall on Hyrule Castle. Can be comboed into by down b and forward air.||18%|
|Yoshi||A moderately weak throw with low knockback compared to other throws. Difficult to set up. Considered the worst back throw in Super Smash Bros..||16%|
|Link||Kicks opponent behind him. Moderately high knockback. Moderately difficult to set up.||16%|
|Samus||Throws opponent behind her. High power, can be set up by fully charged shot or possibly a down air or tap A.||18%|
|Kirby||Slams opponent onto the ground behind him. It is similar to Backdrop and the Big Suplex move from Super Star's Suplex. Considered a worse throw than the forward throw.||16%|
|Fox||Throws the opponent behind him by tumbling. Good power. Very easy to set up due to lasers, shines, and tap a resets.||15%|
|Captain Falcon||Kicks opponent behind him, Very high power and easy to set up. Used at high percents, as his forward throw is used for combos or a mid-percents by an edge.||16%|
|Pikachu||Shocks the opponent (no damage) and throws them back, very high knockback, easy set up.||18%|
|Jigglypuff||Back suplexes the opponent. Moderately good power, moderately easy to set up but forward throw is usually much more useful.||16%|
|Ness||A very strong throw with high knockback but only moderate range.||16%|
 Back throws in Super Smash Bros. Melee
- Bowser: Throws the opponent behind him. 10%
- Captain Falcon: Turns around and kicks the opponent. 5%
- Donkey Kong: Throws opponent behind him. 10%
- Fox: Throws the opponent behind him and blasts him/her. 7%
- Ice Climbers: Throws opponent behind him/her. 7%
- Kirby: Does a backflip and slams opponent into the ground. 7%
- Link: Turns around and kicks the opponent. 4%
- Mario: Spins around and throws the opponent. 12%
- Ness: Uses PK powers to lift opponent 180 degrees above him and throws them behind him. 10%
- Pikachu: Rolls backwards several times and throws opponent. 9%
- Peach: Turns around and rams the opponent with her hip. 11%
- Samus: Throws the opponent behind her. 6%
- Sheik: Turns around and kicks the opponent. 5%
- Yoshi: Spits the opponent behind it. 6%
- Zelda: Uses her magic to throw them behind her. 11%
- Dr. Mario: Same as Mario's, but stronger. 12%
- Falco: Same as Fox. 7%
- Ganondorf: Same as Captain Falcon's. 7%
- Jigglypuff: Rolls backwards and throws opponent. 9%
- Luigi: Same as Mario's, but weaker. 10%
- Marth: Turns around and throws opponent on ground. 4%
- Mewtwo: Like Ness's, but uses psychic. 10%
- Mr. Game & Watch: Juggles opponent and tosses them. 8%
- Pichu: Like Pikachu's but shorter in duration. 9%
- Roy: Same as Marth's. 4%
- Young Link: Same as Link's. 4%
 Back throws in Super Smash Bros. Brawl
- Mario: Spins with the grabbed opponent some circles and throws them. Can KO at high percentages. 12%.
- Luigi: Same as Mario's, but stronger in terms of knockback.
- Peach: Hits opponent behind her with her hip. 11%.
- Bowser: Throws opponents behind him. 10%.
- Donkey Kong: Throws opponent behind him. A good KO throw. One of the strongest throws. 11%.
- Diddy Kong: Throws opponents behind him. 10%.
- Yoshi: Spits out opponent behind him. 7%.
- Wario: Hits opponent behind him with his butt. 9%.
- Link: Kicks opponent behind him. 7%.
- Zelda: Throws opponent behind her. 11%.
- Sheik: Kicks opponent behind her. 7%.
- Ganondorf: Kicks opponent behind him. 10%.
- Toon Link: Lies onto the opponent. 7%.
- Samus: Throws opponent behind her. 8%.
- Zero Suit Samus: Kicks opponent behind her. 6%.
- Pit: Slams opponent onto the ground behind him. 8%.
- Ice Climbers: Throws opponent behind him. 6%. Note: Easy to chaingrab with.
- R.O.B.: Throws opponent behind him. 10%.
- Kirby: Slams opponent onto the ground behind him. 8%.
- Meta Knight: Slashes opponent behind him with sword. 10%.
- King Dedede: Slams opponent behind him with hammer. 16%, Making it the most damaging throw in the game and good KO potential.
- Olimar: Slams opponent onto the ground behind him. It depends on the Pikmin how many damage it does. Red and white Pikmin give 7%, yellow and purple Pikmin give 9%, blue Pikmin give 14%. Great KO move when it's a blue Pikmin.
- Fox: Shoots opponent behind him with Blaster. Damage depends on how many shots hits the opponent. It can deal a maximum of 8%.
- Falco: Same as Fox's.
- Wolf: Slashes opponent behind him with claws. 7%.
- Captain Falcon: Kicks opponent behind him, Similar to Ganondorf. 9%.
- Pikachu: Tumbles with opponent. 9%.
- Squirtle: Kicks opponent away behind him. 10%.
- Ivysaur: Throws opponent behind him. 10%.
- Charizard: Same as Ivysaur's.
- Lucario: Slams opponent onto the ground behind him. 10%.
- Jigglypuff: Back suplexes the opponent. 10%.
- Marth: Throws opponent behind him. It only does 4% and the throw itself doesn't go far either.
- Ike: Turns around and kicks the opponent away. 6%.
- Ness: Throws opponent behind him with PSI powers. Does 11%, and it has the highest KO potential of all back throws.
- Lucas: Just like Ness, only it does 10% and has less KO potential, though still a powerful throw.
- Mr. Game & Watch: Juggles the opponent as a ball, and after that the opponent gets thrown backwards. 8%.
- Snake: Turns around and slams opponent on the ground. 9%
- Sonic: Tumbles with opponent. 8%.
 Notable back throws
- Ness' back throw, arguably, has the farthest knockback of any throw in the game and can KO opponents at mid-high percentages. However, at very low percentages it has almost no knockback.
- Donkey Kong's back throw in Brawl is also very powerful in terms of knockback and isn't much weaker than Ness' back throw.
- Mewtwo's back throw is similarly powerful, acting as one of its best KO moves.
- Kirby's back throw in Melee can be use for Kirbycide. However, it is the only two throws in the game that can be escapable during his throw without taking damage.
- Dr Mario's back throw is more powerful than Mewtwo's and can damage other enemies during the throw animation.
- Luigi's back throw in Brawl is very powerful, similar to Dr. Mario. It is also somewhat showy with the long duration.
- Mario's back throw mimics how he threw Bowser in Super Mario 64
- King Dedede's back throw, is the most damaging at 16%.
Attacks in the Super Smash Bros. series
|Standard ground attacks||Neutral attack · Dash attack|
|Tilt attacks||Forward tilt · Up tilt · Down tilt|
|Smash attacks||Forward smash · Up smash · Down smash|
|Aerial attacks||Neutral aerial · Forward aerial · Back aerial · Up aerial · Down aerial · Grab aerial · Glide attack|
|Throws||Grab · Pummel · Forward throw · Back throw · Up throw · Down throw|
|Get-up attacks||Floor attack · Edge attack|
|Special moves||Neutral special move · Side special move · Up special move · Down special move · Final Smash|